Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
anyone have a problem with a dog with separation anxiety? >

anyone have a problem with a dog with separation anxiety?

anyone have a problem with a dog with separation anxiety?

Old 07-31-2011, 10:56 AM

the other day our dog woke up and thought no one was home and ran thru the house screaming and crying so I need some ideas how to deal with it thanks
Old 07-31-2011, 10:58 AM
Power Poster

They sell dog snacks that help calm dogs. One is "chilling chews". These help....natural ingredient's.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:47 AM

When our lab was a pup he had seperation anxiety -- ate couches, chairs, pretty much anything else that couldn't run away. I gave him st. johns wort - it's an herb that is supposed to ease anxiety... didn't cure him, but more days than not I would find my house in tact. Thankfully he grew out of it by the time he was a year old or so. I have also read that crate training your dogs can help ease anxiety - gives them their own little dark cave, but I've never had room in my house for a crate big enough to hold any of my dogs.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:05 PM

We adopted a dog at about age 3, who was house trained etc. We found out quickly he had separation anxiety.
He even chewed up the door frame while we went to the store one day. got out the CAT door { he is 70 lbs or so} when we left him in the garage, we thought we were going somewhere without him. He got out before we could get in the truck.
We tried leaving the light on, tv etc It took 6 months or so before he Outgrew This.
I have no suggestions just sympathy for you.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:12 PM

your in for a long journey, there are no magic or quick fixes - stay way from meds of any kind. Try crate training. start with small increments of time, make the crate a fun and safe place (i.e., start with 10 minutes at a time with a snack - i use kongs that have been filled and frozen with peanut butter. Then move to 20, then 30, then 40, then an hour, then two. always make the crate a safe fun place, not a punishment place. try having your pup sleep in there at night. my two new pups are almost a year old and they still sleep in the crate.

It takes time and lots and lots of patience. good luck!
Old 07-31-2011, 12:35 PM

Our little Tibetan Spaniel "Bug" did that. Unfortunately we found he had a vertebral problem that pained him when he moved in his sleep. Cortisone shots got him thru several episodes.

Does you dog act like that when you really gone?
Old 07-31-2011, 01:28 PM

Not sure if this is much help, but every once in a while my cat will do that - just start crying pitifully, usually while he's in the bedroom and I'm in the living room. I call to him, and tell him it's all right and call him to me, and then he seems okay. Don't know if he just woke up and forgot where he was, or what. It seemed to start out of nowhere and it happened occasionally for a few months. He hasn't done it in a little while. He just sounded insecure, and I went forward on that basis.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:31 PM
Power Poster

You could try the Feliway pheromones for dogs; helps create calmness. Here is a link to one on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Farnam-Comfort...ws/B000J3HZWE/
Old 07-31-2011, 02:50 PM

I have 2 suggestions based on the experience with my dogs.

1. I gave antidepressants

2. I got another dog for a companion.

I now have 4 dogs and they do fine, but I had to lose a couch before I arrived at this solution.

The crate training is a wonderful idea. My dh is opposed to crates so we have more dogs. Still works.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:47 PM

Go to thundershirt,com! They are $36.00 any size. They work for all types of a
Anxiety! I have one for my lil girl and it works great. If she's real bad I adds pheromone spray.