Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone have real estate tips for finding a new house? >

Anyone have real estate tips for finding a new house?

Anyone have real estate tips for finding a new house?

Old 06-25-2016, 07:31 AM

Find a realtor that you like, who understands your needs, and who is working for you, not the seller. The agent costs you nothing. The seller pays the realtor fees.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:05 AM
Power Poster

boy i will watch this one. My Texas agent said she can't tell if neighborhoods have sidewalks! want them!!!
Old 06-25-2016, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by paoberle View Post
Find a realtor that you like, who understands your needs, and who is working for you, not the seller. The agent costs you nothing. The seller pays the realtor fees.
This, this! As a buyer you don't pay commission, and having a realtor search for what you want and need is the best way to discover the right properties – he/she will have access to all the available houses, and that's what you want.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:34 AM
Power Poster

I would think price range is another consideration.

Location is another major factor.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:49 AM

OP, your daughter is 20, how long do you think she will be living with you? I ask as my son is 20 and he is attending university 5 hours away and is only home now about 3 weeks a year. I think it best to find the best home for you and your dh first and fit your daughter in second, unless there is a reason we do not know about that means she will have to live with you for a long time.

I may be moving in three years. Things that will be important to me, may not be important to you, but here goes:

I want to following or the ability to add the following, in no particular order:

Fenced yard
No restrictions on number or type of pets
RV parking on my property
Mature fruit trees
Walking distance to shopping
No more than a 20 minute commute to work
Sewing and long arm room
Lots of big windows and lots of light
Bright kitchen with lots of counter tops - I currently have a bright kitchen with limited counters
Big laundry room, with storage and room for my deep freeze, preferably on the main floor
Old 06-25-2016, 10:47 AM

Go to www.rmls.com and enter your parameters. Choices that will suit your needs will come up.
Old 06-25-2016, 01:07 PM

Some states have the option of a buyers agent. They work for you not the seller. Check to see if that's an option where you are moving. They're fees are usually paid from the listing commission.
Old 06-25-2016, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
Go to www.rmls.com and enter your parameters. Choices that will suit your needs will come up.
This only has listings in Oregon and Washington. :-(
Old 06-25-2016, 02:09 PM

Why does the adult daughter get a vote? Will she live with you for the rest of her life? Is she helping pay for the new house?

Sandy
Old 06-25-2016, 06:50 PM

The tree advise is great!

We just took a tree down from the front yard of our home. It was just a baby when we moved in 33 years ago, had a double trunk and towered over our house. The county agent came out and inspected it at our request. Her first reaction was that it looked healthy. A closer look showed her that there was a split in one of the trunks, which meant a stiff wind (hurricane force) could bring it down. Final verdict was that it had to go!

It cost us $2000 to take it down, but it was money well spent. The trunk that wasn't splitting was rotted more than halfway through - a disaster waiting to happen! As the upper limbs of the tree (about 18" circumference) were removed and dropped to the ground, our house literally shook.

I do miss that tree, though.

REGARDING the real estate agent: He or she works for the seller, not the buyer, so it is the seller who pays the agent. The RE agent has a fiduciary responsibility to the seller, not to the buyer, and can be sued by the seller if the RE agent strikes a side deal with you.

You may be able to find a "buyers agent" who can negotiate price for you with the seller and sellers RE agent. But the seller still pays his/her RE agent a commission, unless the home is a "for sale by owner", with no RE agent involved. If the house is listed through a realtor, though, the RE agent is still required to work in the sellers best interest, not the buyers.

Last edited by cathyvv; 06-25-2016 at 06:59 PM.