Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone Have a Vegtable garden? >

Anyone Have a Vegtable garden?

Anyone Have a Vegtable garden?

Old 06-09-2010, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Panther Creek Quilting
I have a huge garden and love it. Had some problems with the beans this year (too much rain) so I need to replant and now I cannot find seeds. Very aggravating! But here is what is in now. Lettuce, radishes, onions, carrots, green beans, lima beans, okra, corn, potatoes, zuchinni, tomatoes, eggplants, cucumbers, peppers, watermelon and canteloupe. Will plant beets, turnips and another round of lettuce in the fall.

For anyone wanting to use a pressure canner, I would be happy to talk you through it. It is really no more dangerous than boiling water on the stove. They are built with safety mechanisms to protect you. It just takes a watchfull eye and they are handy as the dickens. I would freeze more but we just don't have the space, so I can most of what I grow. This year is a experiment in making claussen kosher dill pickles. I love those things nad they are just to darned expensive in the store.

Sheila
Mrs Wages Kosher Dill Pickle mix makes some excellent Kosher Dills (short brine method). They work best on spears or slices, not whole pickles. Only drawback is that the pickles only stay crisp for about 4 months. After that, they get mushy.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by quiltilicious
Originally Posted by Panther Creek Quilting
I have a huge garden and love it. Had some problems with the beans this year (too much rain) so I need to replant and now I cannot find seeds. Very aggravating! But here is what is in now. Lettuce, radishes, onions, carrots, green beans, lima beans, okra, corn, potatoes, zuchinni, tomatoes, eggplants, cucumbers, peppers, watermelon and canteloupe. Will plant beets, turnips and another round of lettuce in the fall.

For anyone wanting to use a pressure canner, I would be happy to talk you through it. It is really no more dangerous than boiling water on the stove. They are built with safety mechanisms to protect you. It just takes a watchfull eye and they are handy as the dickens. I would freeze more but we just don't have the space, so I can most of what I grow. This year is a experiment in making claussen kosher dill pickles. I love those things nad they are just to darned expensive in the store.

Sheila
Mrs Wages Kosher Dill Pickle mix makes some excellent Kosher Dills (short brine method). They work best on spears or slices, not whole pickles. Only drawback is that the pickles only stay crisp for about 4 months. After that, they get mushy.
Thank you so much for the advice. I will have to try it. I did find a claussen pickle recipe on line and I really try and stay away from preservatives if i can. But will definately take a look at the Ms. Wages.

Sheila
Old 06-10-2010, 06:25 PM

For the past 7 summers, we have planted a 1/2 acre out front, and another patch about 75' X 50' in our bottom land. The bottom land just gets corn. It has been so wet this spring we haven't gotten the corn in yet, so we will only plant a small amount as it may not have long enough to grow and ripen now. We are down-sizing the front area this year....only planting about 1/2 of it. So far we have:

32 tomato plants...roma, yellow heritage, beefsteak, early girl
beans...green, yellow, and purple
2 carrot varieties,
beets,
red swiss chard
red potatoes,
butternut squash
mooregold squash
zuccini...yellow, green
pumpkin
english cukes
pickling cukes
burpless cukes
cantaloupe
seedless watermelon
stars and moon watermelon
brocolli
cauliflower
spinach
sweet peppers...red, green, orange
jalapeno peppers

Scattered around the property...
apples...crab, sweet eating
raspberries, (almost ripe!!!!)
bluberries
chokecherries
black cherries
rhubarb
plums

Yes, we can lots!!! And we give away a lot. Last year we gave about 10 bushels of corn to the local mission...also many boxes of tomatoes and brocolli. It's a nice feeling to be able to share.

Patti
Old 06-10-2010, 06:31 PM
Banned

Pzazz what is : stars and moon watermelon ? That is a variety I haven't heard of before . Annie
Old 06-10-2010, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by stitchinMamaw
Pzazz what is : stars and moon watermelon ? That is a variety I haven't heard of before . Annie
I am trying it this year for a first time. The rind is green with yellow markings that look like stars and moons. It's always fun to try something new. Oh...another new one this year that I forgot about....trying luffa. We also have a bottle gourd...and as someone else said, they do take up a LOT of space, so it is planted WAAAAAY down at the far end of the garden. LOL

Patti
Old 06-11-2010, 03:14 AM
Power Poster

Patti, I always wanted to try luffa. My SIL didone year, and ma, did they takeover. She did get alotof luffas though!
Old 06-11-2010, 03:24 AM

i planted some squash, cucumbers, tomatioes, peppers in bags of topsoil. Just threw bag on ground cut out slit in bottom , slit on top, planted, and muclched with straw. Got little tiny cucumbers , I saw them yesterday, so excited.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by topper1
i planted some squash, cucumbers, tomatioes, peppers in bags of topsoil. Just threw bag on ground cut out slit in bottom , slit on top, planted, and muclched with straw. Got little tiny cucumbers , I saw them yesterday, so excited.
I never thought about trying that ! I have to start my cucumbers , tomatoes , peppers and green beans inside . We have a lot of birds and the seed gets eaten pretty fast ! I know they have to eat but it is a little aggravating

I did pile what potting soil I had to plant my pumpkin plant . I doing 1 this year to see how it does . We need some rain though . It has been all around us or just a sprinkle . Good luck everybody , Annie
Old 06-11-2010, 04:13 AM

Yes we have a garden again this year. Last year ours was ruined by some kind a "blight" on the tomato plants. We lost all of our plants! This time everything looks Great and growing well. We have tomatoes, peppers, cukes, zuccini, eggplant, italian beans and acorn squash. I can't wait to be able to go outside and pick my own veggies!! :lol:
Old 06-11-2010, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by SuziC
Yes we have a garden again this year. Last year ours was ruined by some kind a "blight" on the tomato plants. We lost all of our plants! This time everything looks Great and growing well. We have tomatoes, peppers, cukes, zuccini, eggplant, italian beans and acorn squash. I can't wait to be able to go outside and pick my own veggies!! :lol:
That is what happened to us. Last year we didn't get much from our garden. This year everything looks good so far except the rabbits got the celery and something is eating the leaves on the beans. We put down stuff to keep out the furries, but have to try something for the bugs. I hate to use really harsh stuff, but will come up with something. I am really anxious for a fresh tomato sandwich :thumbup: