Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone Have a Vegtable garden? >

Anyone Have a Vegtable garden?

Anyone Have a Vegtable garden?

Old 07-29-2010, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by trupeach1
Ok so how is everyone elses garden doing?????????? I have 1 eggplant yet 2 HUGE BEAUTIFUL eggplant plants. 2 green bell peppers 1 I picked last night to put in salad tonight. HUGE BIG tomato plants and each plant has 4-6 tomatoes. There were tons of blossoms on all the plants but no veggies except the banana pepper plant. I had 1 plant and so far picked 8 peppers and there are lots of little ones still growing. What happened?????????? WHY NO VEGGIES??????????? I water every morning and evry night. I have feed and nurtured those plants and zippo, nada, nothing. I have green beans from the grcery I am making pickled green beans to can this afternoon. I made grape jelly, peach jam and blueberry jam yesterday, from store bought fruit. I have wild blackberry brambles, a huge patch, big beautiful and lush, not one blackberry. I am disapointed to say the least!!!!!!!!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

I'm kinda in the same boat as you with my little garden. I have 13 tomato plants, squash and zuccinni. This time last year I was overloaded with tomato's but this year, hardly anything. They get blooms and then they disappear. The grasshoppers this year are horrendous for me. I'm so disappointed too. Haven't even got enough tomato's for a plate of fried green tomato's, much less enough to anything else. :oops: :oops: :cry:
Old 07-30-2010, 04:30 AM

By this time, we are usually eating from the garden every day. Not this summer. So far, we have had one small mixed stir-fry, and one small salad. Our second ripe tomato of the year was picked yesterday. The plants are all healthy...just not much producion. On an up note, our potatoes are doing great. We haven't planted spuds for about 3-4 years since we had such a battle with potato bugs. This year...not one bug!!! YAY. DH dug one hill last w/end when Kaitlin was coming out for supper. What a treat!!! Fresh dug spuds. MMMM It seems this is going to be a root veggie year for us. Carrots, beets, potatoes are all doing well.

Patti
Old 07-30-2010, 06:06 AM

We've picked green beans and their still coming, we have tomoes up the ying yang. We're making fried green tomatoes for tonight. We have picked about a bushel of tomatoes and we had a quart of blackberries from our 1 plant, not to mention squash and zucchini, cukes not so good there long and thin and bitter.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:58 PM

I have had lots of cherry toms, and some big ones too, but now they seem to have stopped to rest. ha I have made 3 jars of sun dried tomatoes since one lady on here said how easy they are to make. I have canned 6 pints of banana peppers, can make 3 pints about every two weeks. Only have 4 plants, next year I plan to have a dozen if not 20. I am getting zuchinni, maybe every other day, have a few big ones now so plan to make z relish this weekend. My beans are blooming so will see if we get any of those, oh and I've picked 2 cukes so far, but lots of blossoms on them too. And I have two small watermelons out there and a few cantaloupes. I had one tomato with horns!

Tomato with horns
[ATTACH=CONFIG]97337[/ATTACH]

Me among the tomato plants
[ATTACH=CONFIG]97338[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-97332.jpe   attachment-97333.jpe  
Old 08-14-2010, 04:47 PM
Power Poster

Wow Pat, thats a nice looking garden to have spawned that "horned" tomato!!! :shock: :lol: :lol: