Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
anyone here do clothing before? >

anyone here do clothing before?

anyone here do clothing before?

Old 05-01-2009, 12:20 PM

I have found when I buy patterns that I can't go by the size. I have to go by the measurements. I wear a size 12-14 and the patterns show I wear an 18-20!! I usually buy the McCalls, Simplicity or the Butterick. I wait til Joann Fabrics or Hancock have them for the 99cent. Then I get what I think I want. Sometimes there is a limit to 5 or 10. I would rather pay a buck and be out that then the $15-$20 they have stamped on the package.

Barb
Old 05-01-2009, 12:32 PM

As for sizing, I would use my high bust measurement to choose the size. Measure your chest just under the armpits and above the bust. This will give a better fit through the upper chest and shoulders. A garment like a coat generally has lots of ease. Depending on your bust measurement, you may not have to make any alterations. Generally, a full bust alteration is easier than having to alter the upper chest area which can affect the neckline, shoulder and armscye.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:40 PM

Can you post a link to the pattern? Maybe we could be more helpful.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:48 PM

http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-...atternid=26720 view A--the one only given in the line drawing.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:50 PM

I've done a lot of sewing clothes, I have some Burda patterns but have never used them, because I'm too lazy to add the seam allowance. They are older ones, and I think I read somewhere that they now have the seam allowance added. The measurements are the most important. PM me if you need some help and I'll see if I can help.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:52 PM

i was/am a custom dressmaker for a loooong time(now only when i feel like it).

burda is not a good choice for a beginner. it has very strange shapes. look for a pattern company that offers instructions for size changes. if you are a size 8 bust and a size 10 shoulder, you need help making that change, especially if the neck opening is too large or small. there is no beginner that knows how to decrease a collar neck size. on bottoms, hips and waists need change instructions. many of the european pattern companies don't give any. if there is a set-in sleeve, that adjustment is not as easy as it may sound.

telling a learner to buy for the high bust and increase for the full bust is absurd. most of the time they don't even know what that means.

start with a pattern that has no set-in sleeve and a neckline that has no collar. either a boatneck or u-neck is perfect. something loosely fitted , but with some little bit of fitting is a good start. look for side slits, a good learning technique. knits are easier to fit, but harder to handle. you should preferably use a serger with knits and be very careful about cutting. don't let it roll up. if you use slippery fabric, use a walking foot.

soooo........start easy, but with one or two lessons in mind for yourself. buy inexpensive fabric and be prepared to make a mistake or two. stay away from stripes and plaids. don't beat yourself up over it. take your time and don't do it when you're tired.

each time you make something you'll learn something new and your confidence will build. or, you may decide you hate it and it isn't for you. big deal. no one has to do everything.

VERY IMPORTANT: learn what your machine will do for you. will it blindstitch? overcast or zigzag? roll an edge?

believe me, you can do it. if you decide to go ahead and you run into problems, you can pm me and i'll try to help you out long distance.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:55 PM
Power Poster

I tried a Burda pattern a while ago and found it to be more challenging than it's worth. As far as size goes, what is the pattern (if you posted, I missed it)? Is the garment supposed to be loose-fitting or tight fitting?
Old 05-01-2009, 01:01 PM

All right I am officially giving up on the burda. From all your wonderful help here and my mom's insight it's not something to start with. Eventually I want to make this one http://www.butterick.com/item/B4463....h=b4463&page=1 but I will find something easier to start with. I tend to forget I'm a newbie and not all that advanced when I pick projects :oops: eventually i will make me a cute coat though!
Old 05-01-2009, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by CindyBee
I haven't used a Burda pattern, so can't help you there. However, I heartily recommend Pattern Review.com for help with sewing clothing. Burda patterns are discussed there and everyone is very friendly and helpful. Heres the link:http://sewing.patternreview.com/news
i tried that site and it's a good site. did you look at the photos? on the burda tops, there isn't one that fits right. the set-in sleeves are not smooth and most are wrong-sized. some of that can be attributed to the sewer, but some to the lack of fitting instructions. IMHO. i have found that burda is generally oversized and the inclination is to take it in too much.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:11 PM

yikes that would mean a lot of the free patterns i've downloaded from burdastyle will probably have the same problems.