Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Anyone know of any methods for removing waterproof sunscreen from hair?

Blog Entries
    oh my, I'm thinking peanut butter?? not sure but it removes lots of things.

Washington State summer, Sun City AZ winter
    Ah, the things the little ones can get into. My son used to cut his hair every time it was picture time for something. You just can't take your eyes off them!!
    She who dies with the most fabric didn't sew fast enough!

Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    try a white vinegar rinse,it will take out all the oil left!
    I have to say I was going to suggest the vinegar rinse as well.It not only removes the oil from teh sunscreen but for all teh years our kids went to school they were made to use the vinegar rinse after every shower to deter lice.We NEVER had any lice and am proud of that fact. It is also good if you want silky hair,just leave in and don't worry the smell will disappear and if you can't stand the smell of the white vinegar you can substitute cider vinegar .We took an old 24 oz plastic soda bottle added about a tablespoon of vinegar to the bottle full of water for them to use each and every shower.

Washington State summer, Sun City AZ winter
    I just remembered something my sister told me about. When she was in beauty school they made a special deep cleaning solution for their customers. It would get the buildup of shampoo and conditioner out of the hair. It was just baking soda in warm water--about 2T in 1C warm water--and work it through the hair and rinse. You might try that to see if that will work if the other suggestions here don't do the job.
    She who dies with the most fabric didn't sew fast enough!

Hi

My advice would be to use dish soap, as that will cut the grease and oil from the sunscreen, after you do that, I would recommend leaving some good conditioner in your hair, that will replenish any "natural oils" that you stripped out. Hope this helps.

Louise
    I wish to grow into a better person than I am.

Ultimately, what I ended up doing was using canola oil to break up the zinc that was left over then I washed with Dawn dishwashing liquid. After that I rinsed his hair again a couple more times with white vinegar and then a light conditioner. On Saturday I will wash his hair again with a clarifying shampoo and then deep condition his hair. This has been quite an experience and I am going to make sure that we don't repeat it again!!

hey Mom...it looked like shampoo. I think vinegar will help you might have to do a couple of times.
    Some people visit paradise, I live there.

That reminds me of the time Emily got into my sisters dipidy do. It was hard to keep a staight face and scold her at the same time. I didn't get pics either ;]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3