Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone know anything about Forteo?? >

Anyone know anything about Forteo??

Anyone know anything about Forteo??

Old 05-26-2011, 06:43 AM

I've been diagnosed with osteoporosis. Took Boniva for two years, but it did not help me at all. Now the doc wants me to try a daily injection of Forteo. It has been used by some for about 5 years.

I feel like a guinea pig, and haven't made the decision to use it. I FEEL REALLY good now, and do not want side effects to ruin my quality of life. However, the possibility of a broken bone would also change the quality of life. I am VERY active, and do so many things that some would say are risky;ie, ladders, riding mower,running up and down stairs.

Just wondering if anyone has taken this, and what side effects have you experienced.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:23 AM
Power Poster

Sorry, don't know about Forteo. However, what I have read about Boniva and similar drugs is that long-term studies show that they do no make a difference in broken bones. They think that what happens is that bone grows as a shell around the outside, so on X-rays it looks as if the bone has been strengthened, but in fact the center is still hollow. I have just the beginnings of osteoporosis and decided not to go with the drugs. I do take supplements of calcium citrate twice a day, vitamin D3, magnesium, and glucosamine chondroitin (plus multi- and a few others) to try to keep bones strong. Weight type exercise also strengthens bones.

I did find this message board with user comments about Forteo:
http://www.healthboards.com/boards/s...d.php?t=518576
Old 05-26-2011, 09:20 AM

My Mom is on it...It is very expensive....she has been on it since the begining of the year.
Not too many side affects...
She has suffered many bones crumbling in her back from the osteo arthritis. This is supposed to help.