Is anyone a nutritionist?

Old 12-06-2010, 07:31 AM

I'm on medications that greatly lower my appetite and I've been steadily losing weight for some time now. I'm getting concerned, but before I head off to the doctor for help, I'm looking for healthy foods that I can use to gain weight back. I wondered if anyone here had any ideas of what I could do. I don't want to go to the doctor for this and I have no choice but to be on the meds that I am, so If I can gain weight with what I eat, that would be best. If anyone can give me suggestions I would appreciate it!

Thanks and Happy Holidays!
Old 12-06-2010, 08:50 AM
Banned

I am not a nutitinaist per say but I have always been a huge advocate of healthy eating.

Have you ever looked into the protein shakes that the body builders use?
Raw unsalted nuts of all kinds
beans! Kydney bean salads, etc
oatmeal
whole grains whenever you can
eggs...any way you like to eat them. You can keep them boiled on hand and just munch when the urge hits you
Carrots are filled with great nutrition
Old 12-06-2010, 09:00 AM

My mother was rather malnourished when she was young, and was made to drink a lot of eggnog to get her weight up. To this day she can't stand the smell of it.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:21 AM

Hi Jennifer,

I'm not a dietitian, but I do have a graduate degree in nutrition.

I second an earlier response -- that you should stick to healthy, calorie-dense foods. Think "chili with beans" vs. "chili cheese fries;" "PB&J" vs. "deep dish pizza."

Yes, you need more calories, but you don't need "empty" calories -- foods that have high calorie counts, but little in the way of fiber or nutrients.

Make your beverages count, too: drink juices, if you can tolerate them, like OJ with pulp, V8, etc. I generally advise healthy folks to stay away from juices (and eat the whole fruit instead) because there's too little nutritional "bang for your buck" in them. But in your case, those extra calories are a good thing. If all else fails, you can try Ensure, a calorically dense drink that was developed for folks with digestive issues or who are undergoing chemo.

It's likely that the meds you're taking are also affecting your GI tract, so be sure to include fiber-rich foods to help things "move along" properly. Fiber is only found in plant-based foods -- hence the suggestion for things like chili with beans and OJ with pulp.

Best of luck to you! PM me if you'd like to "talk" more...

Peg
Old 12-06-2010, 09:35 AM

Not a nutritionist..but try some Ensure Plus. High in calories, but nutrients too!! Its best really cold, but not bad at room temp, kind of like a milkshake! Its made by Abbott Nutrition (same people that make Similac). Its a little pricey, but you can probably find coupons somewhere. We gave it to my mom when she was on chemo and didn't want to eat. They have lots of flavors. I think they also make one with fiber if you want it. They have an online store, or you can get it at the grocery and drug store, although their flavor selection may be limited.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:53 AM

If you are concerned that you may not be gettting all of the essential vitamins consider taking Ensure. Do chill it ( it will taste better). If you really want the most calories in the smallest doses, then Ensure Plus is a better choice. If getting more protein is desired then you would choose Ensure HN. Remember to chill and shake the can. One of the side effects of Ensure can be either constipation or the other extreme. Enrich is the equal of ensure , but with added fiber. Enrich is typically used when the use of Ensure has resulted in the symptoms I mentioned earlier.
Many times the taste of the Ensure products is a bit of a turn off, and then patients do not drink the contents ( remember if you did not consume it ... there is no value) so Try Carnation Instant Breakfast it has a better taste ( not quite the same nutritional value as Ensure , but alot less expensive). Carnation Instant Breakfast is available at most grocery stores and comes in flavors. This would be considered a suplement and not a complete "meal".
Old 12-06-2010, 10:29 AM

I gave ensure to my DML she didn;t like the taste so i would add ice cream to it and then she would drink it
Old 12-06-2010, 11:07 AM
Power Poster

I preferred the taste of Carnation Instant Breakfast over Ensure too.. They make a good base for smoothies or milkshakes too.
You could also add another healthy snack or two each day to your diet. Nuts are good, have healthy calories too :D:D:D