Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone remember the junk bowl? >

Anyone remember the junk bowl?

Anyone remember the junk bowl?

Old 06-06-2011, 01:20 AM

If we are telling: I am a 19 and 42 child. I don't remember a junk bowl, but do remember going through the dust bag on the vacumn to retrieve any lost straight pins or pennies.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:41 AM

Would you believe my "junk bowl" has an address???
Old 06-06-2011, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Radiana
My little grandson loves me to tell him about the old days and I keep thinking I've told him everything but next time I'll have to tell him about the junk bowl.

I love most of my memories of the good old days. I was born in 47 and life was still very simple back then. What I remember every household having was a junk bowl. Now of course we have junk drawers and bins and rooms and sometimes garages. Well I don't know about everyone but I do.

Anyway in our junk bowl we had just little misc items like rubber bands and a pencil, maybe a pen. We would have a stick of gum or two and a book of matches. There might be a pair of scissors and scotch tape if we were lucky but in general, those were always lost somewhere in the house because someone forgot to put them back in the bowl.

I grew up in a home that would be considered very minimalist, I'm sure there were junk bowls that had lots more in them but I kind of liked the fact that there was no clutter. Clutter belonged in the junk bowl. Can you imagine just a bowl full of clutter in the whole house?

I've got so much clutter and Stuff I can hardly stand it anymore.
How funny. I have a 'junk bowl' on my table for all the little 'stuff' that I find around the house. I clean it out once a month. Mine is hand thrown on a potter's wheel. It has an unusual brown glaze.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:12 AM

Iremember a comical commercial on the radio about the "bill bowl." The couple was taking out a re-fi with enough money to pay off all the bills in the "bill bowl." They were so excited - even describing what the bottom of the "bill bowl" looked like - they hadn't seen it in so long. Funny commerical
Old 06-07-2011, 08:59 AM

I know the feeling!
Old 06-09-2011, 06:44 PM

I have a "geese " bowl. I cherish that bowl and candle holder because it was my grand mothers. My son keeps his key to a four wheeler in this bowl along with an old watch and numerous other things. He knows he better not chip it. I dont know who will get it when I am gone as there is no sentimental value there for them.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:59 PM

Another '46-er here. We had a "junk" drawer. It contained a hammer, screwdriver, nails, screws, etc that Mom "liberated" from Dad's tool box (and he was NOT allowed to reclaim them). She also tossed lost objects into the drawer. I have never had that kind of stuff in my kitchen, but I have a couple of drawers that collect misc. items (I refuse to call it junk :) ).
Old 07-02-2011, 11:27 AM

Oh you people are so young.... I was born in 1930, and we had a "Junk Bowl?" So many of them all over, that the whole house was considered the Junk bowl.... and now at 81, it seems that my sewing room, (only 18 x 24 ft) is the same 'bowl'.... my living room is filled with various yarns, which I knit & crochet for out local NICU hospital, and various nursing homes... My back hurts, my arms hurt.. any one live close by to help me clean? I also have lots of quilts I need to finish.... Diana O...