Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
anyone use porcelain doll heads? >

anyone use porcelain doll heads?

anyone use porcelain doll heads?

Old 06-03-2013, 07:44 AM

Just a though---how wonderful to make a muslin body (upper portion) and then stuff a large skirted bottom...for a bed doll or a LARGE pin cushion or with pockets for ripper, threader, small scissors.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:39 PM

You CAN run wire between the arms, stuff the body and use a drawstring closure at the arms legs and head.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:06 PM

Years ago, when I was young and just learning to sew, my mother had a beautiful pin cushion made with a doll head and arms.. Her dress was very pretty and she looked like she may have just stepped out of "Gone With The Wind". Beautiful, southern Bell dress. The 'hooped' skirt was the pin cushion part... I loved her and have looked for a set of porcelain parts to make another one. I may have to start looking again now that you have reminded me of her. Thanks for the memory...
Old 06-04-2013, 02:07 AM

I finally found the correct search term, 'assembling porcelain doll" That has helped tremendously. And I discovered that I have shoulder plated doll heads. The correct terminology goes a long way. I love the pin cushion idea. Now I'm off to search for the correct proportions for the doll, if I have a 1 3/4" head, what size body do I need. It looks like I just slide the head on the top of a headless doll body over the fabric. I guess using a little super glue or hot glue to keep it secure. Thanks every one for your help. Any more suggestions?

Last edited by charity-crafter; 06-04-2013 at 02:13 AM.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:22 PM

Default Porcelain heads

Originally Posted by charity-crafter View Post
I've acquired a box of porcelain doll heads/hands. How do you attach doll heads to the body? Are there any other things to do with the doll heads? I tried to Google "doll making with porcelain heads" and all I found are places to buy the heads.
I have a friend that crochets with them and makes Christmas ornaments. They are beautiful.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:58 PM

Where did your friend get the pattern for the crochet Christmas ornament? or did she create it herself? That sounds interesting.
Old 02-11-2017, 12:11 PM

There are craft books showing you how to make angels from these arms and heads, also books on using wired ribbon to dress them. Go to www.wingsofangels.com there might be help there.