Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone want a slightly used Great Dane...tales of Gus >

Anyone want a slightly used Great Dane...tales of Gus

Anyone want a slightly used Great Dane...tales of Gus

Old 11-26-2010, 01:37 PM

Heidi is driving me crazy today. She wants to play so bad, and she just keeps barking and doing her talking. Gus is still zonked. I am trying to wean him off the pain meds and sedatives. He gets his stitches removed Monday. Last night when I came home from my daughter's, Gus met me at the door. Seems he had knocked the gate down and escaped from his room. Then when we were ready to go to bed he didn't want the e-collar on, as usual. But then when I went to put him in his room he wouldn't go. Looked at me kinda funny and went to the kitchen, layed down on the rug and gave me a "just try and move me" look. So I gated him in the kitchen for the night. He actually slept all night. So tonight he will be in the kitchen again. Hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving! Oh, so I took Heidi outside with a ball and threw it. She ran but in a totally opposite direction of the ball. I did get her galloping around a bit, but she misses chasing her brother.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:49 PM

Sounds like everything is slowly getting back to normal. Heidi sounds like a handful. Glad Gus is doing so well.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by julia58
Sounds like everything is slowly getting back to normal. Heidi sounds like a handful. Glad Gus is doing so well.
Yes, Heidi is a mother and doesn't like the fact that she can't mother Gus. I think that because of her previous life she was so starved for affection that now she just can't get enough.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:10 PM
Power Poster

Aw.poor Heidi, she just misses her Brother! Sounds like he is doing really good!
Old 11-26-2010, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
Aw.poor Heidi, she just misses her Brother! Sounds like he is doing really good!
Well, now I am a little concerned....he wouldn't eat his dinner. He went all day with out the sedative or pain medication. I wonder if that has anything to do with it. He pooped and peed okay this afternoon. I will try giving his dinner to him later and see; I may have to add some chicken broth to it.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:26 PM
Power Poster

I'm always glad to hear Gus is doing better. Hopefully soon things will be back to normal.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:11 PM

Is he acting like he's in pain? If he went all day without meds and wasn't acting like he's in pain I think that's a good thing and prob doesn't have anything to do with not eating. Sometimes (they're worse than kids) they won't eat just because they're mad at you. This is just my very humble opinion, but I think he feels better and wants things the way they were. He's not going to be as compliant now that he feels better and is thinking clearer. Does this make sense? I think dogs are so much like people maybe I'm wrong (or nuts). I'm so happy you're keeping us updated.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by janRN
Is he acting like he's in pain? If he went all day without meds and wasn't acting like he's in pain I think that's a good thing and prob doesn't have anything to do with not eating. Sometimes (they're worse than kids) they won't eat just because they're mad at you. This is just my very humble opinion, but I think he feels better and wants things the way they were. He's not going to be as compliant now that he feels better and is thinking clearer. Does this make sense? I think dogs are so much like people maybe I'm wrong (or nuts). I'm so happy you're keeping us updated.
Well, I feel better that someone else is thinking the same way I am. I live on a quiet lane with 8 houses, one vacant. Someone just drove into a driveway up the lane and they were both barking. So of course I was in the basement and came running up because I thought someone was here. Gus was standing with his front feet on the sofa looking out the window. Then he gets mad at me for chastising him for being up there when he is not supposed to be bearing that much weight on that leg. I think you are right about him thinking much clearer because of not having the meds. My thought is that I have been putting a little canned food on their dry in the morning. Now he thinks I should put some on there at night too. I guess if he gets hungry enough he will eat it.