Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Aprons..do you wear them...have a favorite pattern? >

Aprons..do you wear them...have a favorite pattern?

Aprons..do you wear them...have a favorite pattern?

Old 01-27-2014, 06:37 PM

Default Aprons..do you wear them...have a favorite pattern?

I would like to make some aprons for myself and friends. Ive never worn aprons but as I get older I want to start.
Does anyone have a favorite pattern?
Do you make them single thickness of fabric or double? I wasn't sure if a single thickness would do the job as far as protecting the clothes underneath.
Thanks..Terry
Old 01-27-2014, 06:53 PM

I love aprons - I made only one for myself and used a pattern that I purchased in a craft store - it was a Simplicity pattern I believe - I have seen many free apron patterns on the net - try a search for apron patterns - you will be surprised how many free ones are available. Mine was single thickness.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:54 PM

Hi Terry....yes, i wear an apron that i've owned for 30+ years whenever i bake or make noodles.....basically whenever there will be lots of flour flying around. It's a full apron - light/medium weight denim with pockets - wrap around...that buttons at the shoulders and covers me all the way around - which is good cuz i have a tendency to wipe my hands on my backside when i'm in the thick of things. I LOVE that apron -- and my kids and now grand-kids tease me that they know something yummy is coming when they see the apron is out.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:57 PM

Hi Terry, I have made lots of aprons and I do reversible if the fabric is thin. Most of the time just one thickness is fine. Here is some pictures. I wear an apron all the time. I love them. Keeps your clothes nice.[ATTACH=CONFIG]459091[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]459092[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]459093[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails p1010023.jpg   p1010024.jpg   img_0875.jpg  
Old 01-27-2014, 07:16 PM

Always! Even if I'm just in jeans and not going anyplace. I have picked up 2or 3 different patterns at the LQS. I have made the for my daughters and friends...they love them. I teach KDG and my para and I cook with our kiddoes every Fri. We have fun wearing kid and holiday themed aprons...the kids love it!
Old 01-27-2014, 07:30 PM

I always wear an apron when I cook, it protects my clothes.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:13 PM

Several years ago when I belonged to a Guild, we made Aprons to wear during our Quilt Show, so everyone would know we were Guild members while we worked the Show. Everyone made the same pattern from unbleached muslin. The Bib of the Apron was a 12 inch square, and we each got to make our own Quilt Block, using whatever fabrics and colors we wanted to for our Bib. They turned out great, and we got lots of nice comments from people who came to our Show.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:41 PM
Power Poster

I love making aprons, but do not wear them much.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:09 PM

Terry, double thickness of fabric is much better and more sturdy than a single thickness. Depending on the pattern, the apron can also be 'reversible' if you use two coordinating fabrics.

I also like to quilt mine with one layer of cotton batting, but that's not necessary. The next one I make may have a 2nd layer of batting near the bottom, in case the owner wants to use it for a pot holder.

So far, none I've made have pockets, even though the patterns call for them. Why? Because I can't figure out what I would ever put in an apron pocket!

True confession time: I have aprons, but don't use them! They hang over a corner of my pantry door, just looking beautiful...
Old 01-27-2014, 10:13 PM

I love aprons. and wear them all the time when I cook , because I am so messy ( and I hate to ruin halfway decent clothes with spills). My absolute favorite book is "Retro Aprons" by Cindy Taylor Oates and also another of hers.
I usually make them reversible, because I am way to lazy to fiddle with bias binding