Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Arkansas crystal digging

My husband and I planned on doing this for our 50th anniversary 1 1/2 yers ago. Due to health problems arising we did not get to go. You can go online and find out all about it.

There is also a place in New York, above NYC, that you mine for Herchima diamonds, crystals that are bright and shiny.

Hope you get to go and have good luck!

delma

Thanks for the replies! I think I will go mid to late sept if I can get the time off work. I have been researching it and it looks like there are lots of places around Mt Ida . I am excited and hope some more on here will have some more good tips!

I live in Arkansas but I'm not sure where the crystal digging is at, but you can dig for diamonds here in Arkansas. In the southwest area of the state. My understanding is that it's the only place in the U.S. that has diamonds. September should be a good time of year. cooler than the 107 we had today!!! Have fun

Prospecting always appealed to me....but I have never made/had the time. This sounds like a really fun, exciting and very different adventure. I do hope you manage to get the time off work. Who knows what you will find....and after all, it will be a really healthy kind of holiday...fresh air...rummaging around in the dirt....meeting interesting people, bound to put some zing in your world. Maybe a bed and breakfast kind of place may be a good place to stay.

Quote Originally Posted by booklady View Post
    I live in Arkansas but I'm not sure where the crystal digging is at, but you can dig for diamonds here in Arkansas. In the southwest area of the state. My understanding is that it's the only place in the U.S. that has diamonds. September should be a good time of year. cooler than the 107 we had today!!! Have fun
    Crater of Diamonds State Park

My son and I ordered a bucket of dirt and rocks from Gem Mountain in North Carolina once. When it came it was literally a 5 gallon bucket, taped shut, with an address label on it. The whole family spent hours washing and sorting rocks. We found several gem quality stones in that bucket of rocks.

Blog Entries
    Crystal digging is in Mount Ida. Mount Ida is the quartz crystal digging capital of the world.
    Diamond and crystal mining is in Murfreesboro.
    It's a big open field and you pay to enter and keep what you find. You can get your finds appraised and many find diamonds without knowing they are diamonds.

http://www.craterofdiamondsstatepark.com/ for diamonds
    http://www.mtidarvpark.com/ very safe and pretty place to stay in Mount Ida to go crystal digging.

It will be hot in Sept here and don't forget bug spray, wide brim hat, and good walking shoes.
    Got fabric?

Haven't done it, but just wanted to say I hope you'll come back and show us what you found. Good luck and have a great time!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2