Audiobooks

Old 06-04-2016, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by chance View Post
Love audio books. Such Freedom. Gardening, house-work, quilting (of course), whatever. No excuse for not getting chores done.

Many out-of-state libraries allow you to purchase a yearly membership for a minimal fee. (I live in NC and I go through these books fast! SC membership fee is $35. per year. Great investment.
what is the fee for? Do they mail you the audio? I have recd hard copy books and cd books from my local library..some have been from other libraries, but I pick up and return to my local....
i will be getting my "first" audio book from library next week- library book club monthly choice-Girl on the Train- I think that's the name....last month listened via CDs Pope Joan---17 discs....would never had time to "read" it. Listening is a great way to multi-task. Listen to book on cd if traveling via car..... Librarian seems to think the audios will be more popular than ebooks.
Old 06-04-2016, 04:38 AM
Power Poster

I knew a friend that would listen to the audio books as she quilted. I couldn't concentrate on both things. I like to have the TV on while I quilt with something that I have already seen before like my favorite movies.
Old 06-04-2016, 05:06 AM

My daughter gave me an MP3 player last year. I "wear" it, in a pocket or around my neck, and listen while I sew. I was having trouble getting books, so was using my daughter's account. Then we got a new librarian and she helped me. (The last one didn't know anything about audio books) New I can get my own.
Old 06-04-2016, 05:33 AM

I got a slew of audiobooks from our library when they were getting new ones or replacing them. They also sell them for 25 cents. I got all my Jennifer Chiaverini books that way and also if you want a terrific set of books (14 of them) you can listen to the whole collection of William Kent Krueger (BUT YOU HAVE TO START WITH THE FIRST BOOK). "Iron Lake". They are mysteries and follow through his life. They take place in Minnesota and Wisconsin. I love the new books by Jennifer Chiaverini - semi-historical. I can sit at my sewing table, look out the window, do my sewing or cutting, watch the birds at the feeders and listen to an on the "edge of your seat" book. And also have a glass of wine or pop or coffee or tea or anything imbibable and then we are in our own little world. I am there right now (well, not exactly at this moment, but as soon as I get the house picked up - the sun is out, the birds are singing, I have a cup of ChaiLatte, the birds (inside) (two parakeets and two finches) and outside are singing up a storm and I am getting ready to cut 80 2-1/2 by 9" sashing pieces and four sashing borders. BIG quilt!!!! Made out of a couple of jelly rolls.

All this joy comes from doing what I love to do in my home, with my critters - oops, forgot Miss Bess - the Avatar - she is 13-1/2 years old today. Might get her a White Castle hamburger with no onions!!!! She is laying on the couch sawing logs, schnusking away!!!!! That's my Bessie. Have a great day today whatever you do - I hope it rains on no one!!!!!! Edie
Old 06-04-2016, 05:55 AM

Our library has been closed since mid-December because we had a huge flood here. A library card is quite expensive here, and is $85.00 out of our city limits, so I don't have cards from anywhere else

All that said to say I have all my very favorite books on audio and absolutely love listening to them. We don't have TV.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:41 AM
Banned

Yes I have tried hoopla and one-click digital. Don't like either of
them.

Originally Posted by quilterchibb View Post
Wow, I'll have to try that. Thanks!

Also have you heard of hoopla? I think it works kind of like overdrive. My library doesn't work with it so I am not sure.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:56 AM

I love the audio books I have one in my sewing room and one in the car all the time, no TV any more to expensive and mostly trash on any way.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:41 AM

I have been listening to audio books for several years now, I love them. I have a little iPod that clips on to my clothes and listen all the time when I am sewing, doing laundry and other chores. I download free from the library and transfer into my iPod. The good things about an iPod is you can take it with you and listen versus a laptop where you are kind of stuck in one place
Old 06-04-2016, 09:30 AM

I've been using the free library system for years, but last year they changed ITunes and it affected how I could download onto my Classic (older)IPod from Overdrive. I really don't want to buy a new IPod but may have to. I use my books when I walk and it really helps me get the steps I need.
Old 06-04-2016, 02:41 PM

Luckily, one of our local librarians is very good with the ebooks/audio books. I had to go in for some help when I first got started. We do use Overdrive and she set it up on my Iphone, so once I get comfortable with that application I think I will enjoy it, especially for walking and just around the house, too. Lots of good suggestions!