Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
AVATAR: something to be concerned about.?............ >

AVATAR: something to be concerned about.?............

AVATAR: something to be concerned about.?............

Old 03-06-2010, 10:43 PM

I found this awesome quilty board in Nov of 09. I lurked awhile and decided to join with the rest of all the smart guys and gals, thinking I could swap war stories and make new friends, and maybe even learn to quilt better, or help someone else to quilt better. It looked like a fun group of people, having a good time. I also noticed just about everyone had an avatar, with really cute, pretty, fun, loving, pictures in them. So I looked thru all my pictures and found one that kinda spoke to me and with a couple clicks of the mouse, there it was, a little Smiley Face, smiling and sewing her fingers to the bone.
Then in January someone else started using my symbol! I talked to Admin and was told to talk to her to see if she could find something she would like better. So I did, but she didn't want to change. I don't know how y'all would feel, but it kinda ticked me off. I had been using that avatar for a couple of months and I felt like it got hi-jacked.
Well, being a peace-lover, I told her she could have it, that I would find a new one, which I did in 5 minutes or less, and I now have it proudly showing my avatar.
Maybe I should have done something different, or not done anything and there would be two of us with the same avatar. As of this writing, she is still using it.

What would you have done and how would you have felt?
Old 03-06-2010, 10:47 PM

I suppose I would be a little miffed. This is why I use only unique pictures that are a part of me. Like my avatar now, that is my pesty cat Kola.

If it makes you feel better, I am sure several of us can dress in ninjawear and sneak over and glue her quilting needles to the table...LOL
Old 03-06-2010, 10:49 PM

I love your elephants!
Old 03-07-2010, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
If it makes you feel better, I am sure several of us can dress in ninjawear and sneak over and glue her quilting needles to the table...LOL
I got some extra super glue
:thumbup:
Old 03-07-2010, 12:53 AM

knowing myself as i do...lol...i would've gotten highly ticked off, to me(as you stated) an avatar should be something that represents your personality and/or likes and tastes, heck i've seen some that i've really liked, but would NEVER think to use it if it were being used by someone else, just think, that person probably copies alot more than just avatars!! ;-)
Old 03-07-2010, 02:15 AM
k3n
Power Poster

I too have always used personal pics as my avatars. If that was a public image and she used it as well by 'accident' then I guess I'd not be p'ed off and try to negotiate a solution. If she'd out and out copied, I'd be miffed! BTW I prefer your elephants to the old one anyway! LOL

PS - Admin's avatar is actually a photo I took and posted a while back as part of a family trip we took to a monkey park. Of course he asked before he used it and I felt deeply flattered and of course said 'yes'! :mrgreen:
Old 03-07-2010, 03:33 AM

Huh... that's a bit odd that once asked, she wouldn't make a change knowing someone already had it and had it first. But--I like the elephants. :wink:
Old 03-07-2010, 03:35 AM

I think the elephants are cool!
I think much better than a smiley face!! :)
Old 03-07-2010, 03:53 AM

It is odd that she would not change it, as I am one who identifies who the writer is by the avatar. When people do change theirs, I have to relearn who it is all over again!!!

I actually need to change mine as I do not live on the coast anymore - Boo Hoo!

You are the better person for changing it and your elephants are cute.
Old 03-07-2010, 04:11 AM
Power Poster

I'm with you, it should have been 'first come, first served' and I am a little disappointed with Admin. Having said that, I like your elephants too, and I admire you for choosing something else. Perhaps when you find something personal to you, (see my avatar, a quilt I designed myself) then you could change to that.

I agree also with beachlady, I tend to identify people by their avatars, and it throws me completely until I learn the new one.