Awkward Moments

Old 07-04-2016, 08:17 AM

Default Awkward Moments

We went to see Independence Day at Imax Cinema. We sat up top in the back and my husband left for several minutes. A couple came and sat next to us while he was gone. When he returned and saw the people sitting next to us, he wanted to move a few seats away. He started to get our things and realized that he had taken the woman's soda, thinking it was mine. He apologized to her and I could tell he was embarrassed. I told him, hey, I can top that! My daughter and I were shopping at a mall and when we were finished we went to the parking lot to find our car. My daughter reached it first and got in. Then I got in the drivers seat. We both looked at each other and realized this wasn't our car, but its doppelganger.

Years ago, when I first started driving, I decided to visit my friends in a town I wasn't familiar with. I realized I was lost, so I stopped to ask someone for directions. Being a new driver, I was sort of flustered that I didn't know where I was. I was trying to follow the man's directions, but I got confused. So I drove around for a few minutes looking for someone else who I could get directions from when I again saw someone in their front yard. I pulled up and rolled my window down to speak. I looked at him. He looked at me with a grin on his face and I quickly drove away. It was the same man...

I hope some of you will share your awkward stories.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:38 AM

One really hot night, we went to a dance and my husband went out to get the car. When I saw the car drive up I hopped in, hiked my skirt way up to my mid thigh and started fanning it out, to get some cool air moving because I was melting from the heat.
You can imagine my dismay when I looked over and saw not my husband sitting there, but some strange man staring at me like I'd lost my mind.
OOPS.
"It's a hot one, isn't it?" I said.
"Sure is."
When I went to reach for the handle, his wife was just opening the car door and the look on her face could have struck me dead.
"My mistake." I told her as got out.
"Good luck." I said to the driver.

Watson
Old 07-04-2016, 09:30 AM

I almost got into "our" car in a grocery parking lot once and there was a strange man driving instead of my husband!

After he passed, I caught myself a few times coming out of the grocery store and heading to the passenger's side. File that under "sad moments".
Old 07-04-2016, 10:20 AM

Sewingsew, you're not the only one who is directionally challenged! Especially being a young/new driver at the time!

Oh, Watson! That's funny!

In the mid 70's, when I was ~5 years old we took one of our many trips to Canada. Us kids (5, 6 & 8) didn't want to shop anymore. Mom said we could wait in the car on the main drag outside the shop. Little did we know that when mom & dad came out a while later, we had been waiting in the wrong car! We thought it odd, that all our toys had been cleaned up, but didn't think it was the wrong car! Thank goodness the owners of THAT car didn't come out to find us inside!
Old 07-04-2016, 10:46 AM

I've got the story to top them all.

I must have been 4 or 5 years old. My mom did some in-home daycare during the summer for a few of our neighbors who worked, and she had piled all of us into the van and taken us to the grocery store. This was back in the day when you could leave the kids unattended. There were probably 5 or 6 of us in the van while she went in and shopped. Anyway, we decided to "play doctor" while she was gone. Imagine the look on the courtesy clerk's face when he and my mom opened the doors to load the cart full of groceries, and got an eyeful of naked kids! She NEVER went back to that grocery store.

I still tease her about that one, just to see her get flustered.
Old 07-04-2016, 11:30 AM

My DH isn't much of a hand holder and he has a bad habit of walking away from me. Before we had cell phones I'd put my hand is his back pocket, grab his belt or the back of his shirt to keep up with him. We were at the state fair one year and it was very crowded. I saw him a couple of steps ahead of me so I took a couple of fast steps and stuck my hand in his back pocket. The man who had my hand in his pocket and his wife turned and gave me a quizzical look. I apologized profusely and explained that I thought he was my husband who always manages to get away from me. They both laughed and I slunk away with a very red face. My DH was a couple of steps behind me and laughing like crazy.
Old 07-04-2016, 12:23 PM
Power Poster

I was probably 4 years old, maybe 5, when I was out shopping with my father. He stopped on the sidewalk to gab with someone he knew, and I wandered off a little ways. I guess I got scared, because I suddenly turned and rushed back and wrapped my arms around my father's legs - or at least I intended to. Something wasn't quite right, as I looked up and saw the other man, not my father. I still remember how mortified I was, and that was at least 65 years ago. Why do we remember the embarrassing moments so well?
Old 07-04-2016, 01:10 PM

I am really getting a kick out of reading these. Watson, I think yours wins first place for making me laugh the most. I have a few more to add.

A couple of weeks ago, I left the house with two different shoes on. It was only after I came home that I realized what I had done.

When I was 14, my cousin and I were riding her bicycle. I was sitting on the handle-bars while she drove. We were going down a steep hill on a sidewalk. Suddenly a screw in the handlebars loosened and I went face first on the sidewalk. I cushioned her fall, but I chipped my front tooth. I had a temporary cap put on until the permanent one could be made. One day in chemistry class, the glue that bonded it to my tooth came loose while I was talking. It bounced off the cheek of my big crush and landed on the floor by the Bunsen burner. Prince Charming went under the table and picked it up and then handed it to me.

Another time when I was about 16, my sister and I went to a sleepover at a friend's house. In Virginia it was wicked hot in the summer, and we didn't have air-conditioning in our upstairs, so at night sometimes I would start with a nightgown on but wake up with it off. Anyhow, at our friend's house there was no air-conditioning. You know where this is going don't you? My sister and I slept in the bed with our friend. I woke up with my underwear missing. My sister found them for me before our friend found out, but boy was I sweating that one!
Old 07-04-2016, 03:35 PM

Oh these are great!!!!

My most embarrassing moment (and it takes A LOT to embarrass me) was when I was 18 years old. My mom and I were shopping at the big new mall downtown. I was wearing a half top, long cotton skirt with loads of fabric, and skimpy undies (like really skimpy!)

As we were going down the escalator my mom and I were chatting, and the next thing I knew as we neared the last step my skirt went with the stair into the escalator - ripped it right down to my ankles and stopped the escalator ... RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FOOD COURT!!!!

I turned about 8 shades of red and walked into the closest store to the change rooms.

My mom? She was about 5 minutes behind me because she couldn't catch her breath from laughing so hard.

I am just so happy that when I was 18 cell phones did not exist, because if they had, I could probably send you the link on youtube!
Old 07-04-2016, 08:15 PM

20 years ago we sold our "old" house. 6 months later after working a very long shift, I drove home. Opened the door and went right in....imagine the look on the faces of the people who bought our old house! I made a quick exit....hopefully they changed the locks after that episode!!