baby burp cloths

Old 04-30-2017, 09:01 AM

Default baby burp cloths

I'm going to make baby burp cloths as 2 of my nieces are expecting this year. Now the question is....are they best made out of terry toweling or flannel? And is there a difference between regular flannel and diaper flannel? Would diaper flannel be more absorbent and better for these?

What works best? I've read that flannel diapers work great, but I can't find them in the stores here.

So note, I can buy diaper flannel, but not pre-folded flannel diapers.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:22 AM

I made mine with a pretty baby theme quilting cotton on one side and white terry on the other side and they came out great. But I think two layers of flannel would work great too.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:23 AM
Power Poster

I was curious about the difference in flannels, so I found this http://www.mothering.com/forum/66-ar...ml#post4081164
Old 04-30-2017, 10:41 AM
Power Poster

I do them with cotton flannel fabric on one side and white terry cloth on the other. I kept the flannel light coloured also in case they needed to bleach them.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:49 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]572324[/ATTACH]

I just used pre-folded diapers from Walmart... did the design and then put the fabric on the back, flipped it over and formed a hem with the leftover.
Attached Thumbnails burp-bib-m.jpg  
Old 04-30-2017, 01:47 PM
Power Poster

i just made dribble bibs (for older babies teething) out of towels and good cotton, the fancy stuff. I use more mature designs, or modern for the dribble bibs
Old 05-01-2017, 03:53 AM

I have made a lot of burp cloths that mothers love. I use flannel. I watch for the Snuggle flannel at JoAnn's to go on sale. 1/2 yard makes 2 burp cloths. I use batting in the middle. It is shaped somewhat like a dog bone with curved ends and slight indentation in the middle. I make them like rag quilts with frayed edges. Before I cut I unfold the flannel and put batting in and refold. I then lay my pattern made out of muslin on top and cut through all three layers at once. I can get 2 side by side so they are about 18" long x 9" wide. I pin and sew 1/2" seam all around. I sew once through the mid section to hold batting in place. I trim the batting close to the seam line and clip the flannel edges. Wash to fray the edges.
The response that I get back from those who get these is that they are the best ones they have. The flannel makes it so they stick to your shoulder. The flannel and the batting make them absorbent and the shape conforms to neck and shoulder. My daughter is still using them after 3 kids and hundreds of washings for nose wipes when the kids have runny noses. They are soft and don't irritate.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:55 AM

I used to use diapers. I found that many cotton materials and flannels just did not absorb well enough and the diapers did not need to be hemmed. I would embroider or appliqué a design or name and maybe add a border.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:56 AM

I use 2 layers of flannel--a design on one side and plain/coordinating on the other usually. I make mine as rectangles so they do lop over the top of the arm as spit-up usually ends up there! When I made bibs, I used the waterproof stuff--is it called pul?--on the back so moisture from food or drool doesn't leak through. It launders nicely and stays soft. I bought it at JoAnne's. I think it is commonly used for diaper covers by those who use cloth diapers.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:23 AM

My guild makes them from flannel for a local hospital. two pieces of flannel serged or stitched together using the birthing method.