Backaches

Old 06-04-2010, 05:24 PM

I take a couple of Advils before I start sewing. I leave my beverage in the other room so I get up to drink it.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:35 PM

I will give you some professional advice since I do this for a living.

DO NOT take aleve advil (NSAID's--non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) etc on a semi-regular basis. If you read the contra-indications you will realize that use of these NSAID's even within the OTC guidelines can increase your risk of GI bleed and kidney failure. NSAID's are a major reason for dialysis and death from GI bleed--especially in people with "arthritis" who tend to take more than they realize. This can happen with no major usage or forewarning....IOW, you can take Aleve with no problems for yearsand then boom have GI bleed problems. If you are going to take NSAID's you must increase your water intake and you should eat something.

Do stretch frequently. You need to use bands etc to stretch. Also take a tennis ball and roll it up and down your back while pulling the arm across your body.

Double check all heights of tables, sewing machines hoops etc. Modify hoops etc so you are not sitting with your head hanging down.

The key to mid back pain is to sit very straight. This can mean knees down with a good arch in your lower back...this will take the stress off of your mid back. Then squeeze your shoulder blades together and push those boobies out. Your thumbs should point forward when they hang at your side if you are doing this properly. Use a Body Rite Posture aid if you have to. Do "flying" superman exercises in doorways.

Stop every ten minutes or so to pull your shoulders back and stretch. Keep an exercise ball in your sewing room and lay backwards over it, rolling back and forth. You can use the ball as a chair if you are coordinated.

If you are going to use heat, no more than 10 minutes of moist heat.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:37 PM

could be a muscle called the Rhomboid muscle, stretches help. I have the same problem. Physical therapist gave me exercises to do. helps to roll a hand towel and lay on the floor with it between your shoulder blades for a while, shoulder shrugs and rolls also helped.

It actually can become a knot in your back and can increase in intensity so that the pain can radiate to the front and cause chest pain.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:38 AM

Make sure your table isn't too high! If your have to "hunch up" your shoulders to put your hands on the machine's table, then it's too high. That's the leading cause of shoulder pains that you describe.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:35 AM
Power Poster

Get up and do something else for a while.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:01 AM

I broke a bone in my wrist last Aug 1st. It has not healed yet. I am in constant pain. My doc told me no nsaids (sp). Said that they would make it worse. Listen to seamstome. She is absolutely right.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:59 AM

Take a break and stretch and if weather allows take a walk.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:28 PM

I stretch my arms and roll my shoulders back a few times. It works for me.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:47 PM
Power Poster

oh goodness yes. my back today, low down mostly. and i always get tight neck and shoulder muscles. but then that happens often when not sewing. I'm just falling apart :mrgreen:
I tale Clebrexx every day. If i didn't i wouldn't be able to use my hands. sigh. and Nexxium for heart burn. if i don't i can't sleep at all. told ya. i'm getting old.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:17 PM
Google Goddess

hope you are feeling better, try to get up and move around