bag cloth

Old 09-11-2016, 06:06 PM

Default bag cloth

Does anyone know what kind of material those bags you get from Menard's, supermarkets, Walmart, etc.that they sell for around a $1. These bags usually have the stores logo and are used for loading your purchases. Also, does anyone what Oly cloth is and do you think this would be good for making a (grocery) bag with it?
TIA!
Old 09-11-2016, 06:51 PM

Sorry, don't have a clue as to Oly cloth. Perhaps is it 'oil cloth'. That would work for the bags you describe. I've used the poly coated dog food bags for re-usable shopping bags. For me, the problem I have with the commercially made bags is that the straps are too long and typically there is no solid bottom so the groceries, or other purchases, get all smooshed together in the bag. The ones I've made out of the dog food bags, I deliberately shorten the handles for my comfort. Not that I ever remember to use any of them, mind you!
Old 09-11-2016, 06:54 PM

Don't know the name of the cloth those bags are made of but I do know that Hobby Lobby carries several colors of the cloth.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:15 PM

I have a Walmart bag, and wondered the same thing. What kind of cloth is it? I do think duck cloth would work well. I used it to make a huge ironing board that is wide enough to iron a yard width of fabric at once. I love how it turned out.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:20 PM

I actually prefer canvas for my shopping bags. It is sturdy yet expands a bit when needed. It is also easily washed (I wash my bags very month at least). I walk up 5 steps to my front door, and I want to do it as few times as possible! I like my bags big.

Pam
Old 09-11-2016, 09:26 PM

I checked the tag in a bag similar to the Walmart bags- says 100% non woven polypropylene fabric. Also said www.earthsavvyproducts.com
Old 09-12-2016, 05:14 AM

I have bought the bags at Dollar General for $ 1.00, took them apart and sewed "quilt as you go" scraps to them, put them back together and used for a gift giving bag.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:33 AM
Power Poster

I have reusable and I use them and I have made some. DH uses duct tape to hold them together (the ones in the truck). I usually wash the bags on the weekends he doesn't have phones. Just easier to remember. Also the week he gets paid. I wash in warm water with vinegar. Doesn't take long in our weather for them to dry. He has his bags in his truck and I have my bags in my car. this way we don't forget to use them. I also use a "wheel tote" to put them in from car to house if I don't want to make a lot of trips. Cans on the bottom and lighter up. We've had our bags about 8 years.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:45 AM

"I have bought the bags at Dollar General for $ 1.00, took them apart and sewed "quilt as you go" scraps to them, put them back together and used for a gift giving bag."

What a great idea for scraps!! Can you post a picture of a completed one?
Old 09-12-2016, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by misspriss View Post
I have bought the bags at Dollar General for $ 1.00, took them apart and sewed "quilt as you go" scraps to them, put them back together and used for a gift giving bag.
I guess I needed to do this....reply with quote....LOL