Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Bakers: A jar is a jar is a jar?

During the holidays, I read that keeping brown sugar in glass jars help to keep them from getting concrete hard. I put the brown sugar in two jars (did not have a jar large enough for the entire box), and have been happily using the brown sugar. However, this morning, I ran out of sugar in the jar I already opened and had to open the second jar. Concrete hard! I don't know what happened. Is there a difference between jars? Is there anyway to soften the sugar in the second jar?

i have heard that if you put a slice of white bread with the brown sugar it will soften it

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week! and very cold this very minute!
    put a slice of bread in with the sugar. I never tried it but gramma swore by it

Blog Entries
    It must have not had a tight enough seal. Try zapping it in the microwave for a few seconds at a time, it should soften up :D:D:D

Quote Originally Posted by amma
    It must have not had a tight enough seal. Try zapping it in the microwave for a few seconds at a time, it should soften up :D:D:D
    Absolutely works, I often soften my brown sugar this way as I don't use it often and just leave it in the box after open.

I purchase 2 lb bags of brown sugar. Once they are opened, I close the by rolling down the top and putting a rubber band around it, top/bottom.

Then I take a new zipper bag and put a few drops of water in the bottom, then insert the closed bag of brown sugar. When I need to use it, it is always soft.

June in Cincinnati

Blog Entries
    I buy brown sugar from Sam's Club and put it into a Rubbermaid storage container with the flip closures on the side (similar to Lock-N-Lock). The rubber seal around the top makes a tight seal and the brown sugar stays soft.

The bread will do the trick ... or an apple.

Careful with the microwave ... overdo it and you'll have a total meltdown!

I use a brown bear disk in with the brown sugar. I keep my sugar in a tupperware container with the brown disk. works well

http://askville.amazon.com/prevent-d...estId=30850176

scroll way down to see the disk. You can buy these at Bed Bath and Beyond or other kitchen stores

My daughter told me about the Brown Bears and said she found them at a Dollar Store. I want some!
    thanks for sharing that tip!

June in Cincinnati

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast