Bamboo Fabric

Old 09-19-2010, 08:11 PM

In response to the topic of home made sanitry pads:

Here is some information I found that might be helpful in making these items.

What Is Bamboo Fabric?
Bamboo fabric is a new fiber that is getting a lot of attention these days, but what is it exactly? The fabric itself is very similar to cotton, and is made from bamboo grass. The grass is processed into a pulp which can then be spun into fiber. The fabric is very soft, which allows for a luxurious feel.

Many people have allergies to natural fibers, but this is not the case with bamboo fabric. The fabric also hangs from the body much like more expensive fabrics, such as silk, would. It is more durable and easier to care for than silk, which makes it more appealing to consumers.

Bamboo fabric is also highly absorbent. This property allows the fabric to keep moisture away from the skin. By wicking away extra moisture, bamboo fabric is credited with helping to eliminate bacteria and odor on the skin.

Sustainability is another aspect which many people find appealing about bamboo. As more and more people become conscious of how their purchases affect the world around them, bamboo is seen as a crop that grows quickly and requires no pesticides or herbicides. Bamboo fabric combines the best of what people need from a fabric with responsible ecological principles to provide an affordable, beautiful alternative.

Exceptionally absorbent and gorgeously soft. Bamboo is very popular as the absorbent layer in reusable nappies, training pants and menstrual pads
Old 09-19-2010, 08:30 PM

feels great --we have batting readily available here but i have read it is very flammable---so i watch what i use it in
Old 09-19-2010, 10:05 PM

Great to know. Thank you.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:53 PM
Kas

Bamboo turns to rayon when processed. It is not an earth friendly process though it may be a bottom pleasing fabric! I agree that the bamboo is very soft, but remember...it is just rayon now.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Kas
Bamboo turns to rayon when processed. It is not an earth friendly process though it may be a bottom pleasing fabric! I agree that the bamboo is very soft, but remember...it is just rayon now.
As I recall from my "dry cleaning days" 20 years ago. Rayon was used as a cheaper alternative to replace silk in blouses and suitings for women. It couldn't be washed in water as it would bleed like crazy and shrank very unevenly. I guess that they have made leaps and bounds in the technology.
Will wonders never cease? ;)
Old 09-21-2010, 11:32 AM

I have bamboo socks that are really soft.