Bats???

Old 09-07-2010, 05:12 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

While DD was leaving this morning for her first day of school, as she went out the front door she noticed an odd sound... somewhere between the chirp of a bird and the twitter of a chipmunk. And it seemed to be coming from behind a shutter on our front porch.

So I unscrewed the two screws at the top of the shutter and pried it away from the wall a bit, and sure enough, there were two tiny charcoal gray furry lumps there. One that apparently was suffering from insomnia.

Has anyone else had bats in their shutters?
Old 09-07-2010, 05:23 PM
Power Poster

Bats in my shed.....does that count?
Old 09-07-2010, 05:23 PM

Years ago, I lived in an old Victorian that had bats in the attic. I realize they eat a lot of mosquitoes, but they still are not one of my favorite critters. They can squeeze into tiny spots, so it is hard to keep them out once they establish a home. One in particular, I used to have to open a window for, and chase out with a broom!
Old 09-07-2010, 05:34 PM

Place a fake owl on your porch. This may keep them from coming back.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:39 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Bats are a good thing to have around. Call animal control and see if they can do something about it. I wouldn't mess with them myself.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:57 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

I don't think I actually MIND them being there behind the shutter. I know they're useful, and it's not like the cats or the kids can even get to them, once the shutter's screwed back on.

I don't think they will cause any problem. I just can't figure out why the one was so noisy this morning!

Are they sensitive to weather maybe? We just had a dandy line of thunderstorms move through.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:59 PM
Power Poster

in our trees out front. when my son (20) was little about 2, i would take him out at night to watch the bats and sometimes get him icecream to watch the bats and rats in the harbor
Old 09-07-2010, 06:25 PM

We have some bats around the house but I really wish we had more! They eat mosquitos and we have tons of mosquitos on our property for some reason. My youngest son and I cannot even go out into the yard without being eaten alive-abd we do not even have any water around us. We have a lot of trees so I guess this is why we have so many but Jacob and I can be covered in Off Deep woods or Skin So Soft green can stuff which everyone swears works best and can still get lots of bites on us. I really hate it because we have two huge decks and a beautiful property and I would love to be able to sit out on the deck and relax but we can't be out for 5 minutes without getting bitten alive. My fiance and my oldest son do not have this problem-they rarely get bitten.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:28 PM

Our neighbor had them in his walls. Hard to get rid of, but if you put up a bat box perhaps they will use it and stay out of the shutters.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:44 PM
Power Poster

Ewww. not yet. my friend in Houston found her kitten in the atrium playing with a bat that turned out later to be Rabid. both her cats were put on quarantine for about two months!