Beach question

Old 04-15-2016, 04:04 AM

Leave expensive jewelry and watches at home.....also expensive camera gear. Many hotels have safes that we put our cameras in when going out in the evening. Take a shawl for cool restaurants and non aerosol inset repellent....at some times of the year sand fleas are bad if sitting on or close to the beach.
Old 04-15-2016, 04:40 AM

Tipping is optional. Over the years we found that taking a good supply of singles is the best idea. Remember, these people do not get paid a lot and a $1 tip is greatly appreciated. In our room, we take a slip of paper and write 'thank you', then put one or two bills with it every day. Remember that the same person may not clean your room every day so tipping only at the end of the week might not get to the right person. We never had to ask for extra towels, soap etc in our rooms and I am sure it is because of that little tip.

If we went to a specialty restaurant, we would give the tip to the maitre d since the tips are usually pooled. If you go on an excursion, it is customary to leave a tip as well--again you don't have to be extravagant.

And definitely leave your expensive jewellery at home. Use the safe in your room at all times. And one more piece of advice--you would not invite a stranger into your home, do not invite one into your hotel room--even if it is a fellow guest and you feel safe. Instead, arrange to meet at a bar or restaurant.

Well, I guess one more little hint. Lay out everything you want to take along and then put half of it back in the closet! https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ is fantastic and will give you lots of advice about your specific resort from people who have really stayed there.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Edie View Post
I'd take the cabin in Northern Minnesota, fishing and swimming in the lake in a heartbeat over Jamaica. Sorry,. but Northern Minnesota was designed by God. Edie
Not my usual place, thus the need to ask my question. I have a nephew getting married there. Sisters only child, she attended all 5 of my childrens weddings. Lives in California, so I think it is only fitting I attend. We go to the Ashby area every year. Always stop at "The Nook" on the way up.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:35 AM

Ginger, thanks for the tipping tip. I am never sure what to do.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:23 AM

Try to bring mostly cotton clothing. Cotton Poly blends will not wrinkle too much and the natural fibers are so much nicer in tropical areas. A great tip I was taught when packing is too roll your clothing instead of folding and it will not wrinkle. A floppy hat is great, a first day sunburn can take a lot of fun out of a trip! And, while you will want something nice for going out to dinner - everyone wears sandals or other flats! Comfortable shoes are probably the most important thing. Hope you have an outstanding trip!
Old 04-21-2016, 03:07 PM

Hang out in the shade. Even with a high spf and in the shade you will tan. A severe sunburn can quickly ruin a trip.

I've never been down south, but my co-worker does and she always buys a few facecloths at the dollar store and brings them. She say they sometimes run out by the time they clean your room (depending on where you are on their run) and you don't always get some or enough of them. If she winds up having to use them, she leave them there and doesn't worry about bringing them back.

Now with the airports and weight restrictions on luggage, you want to leave a little bit of wiggle room for your luggage weight. You're going to a tropical area which has higher humidity, so realize that the very same luggage will weigh a bit more on the return trip because your clothing has absorbed some of it. It sucks being hit with a surcharge.