Beach question

Old 04-13-2016, 11:46 AM

Default Beach question

I am going to a Sandals resort in October. It is in Jamaica. I have never been to an all inclusive resort before.
I need to know what clothing I should wear. Our resort vacations all consisted of a cabin in northern Minnesota, fishing and swimming in the lake. I need help..........
Old 04-13-2016, 01:43 PM
Power Poster

it's tropical. so wear shorts, sundresses, and have a few bathing suits with you. the water will be able to walk in with no cold shock to your body, and it will be clear, so get an underwater disposable camera. you'll want to take pictures of the fishes and corals. You'll want to go on a catamaran trip. these are extra. about $150 pp extra is good to bring. food, liquor and cigarettes are included. There are lots of options for trips there too you'll want to do. Like taking a short bus ride to Ricks cafe to see the sunset or go diving off of a cliff. Be aware, alot of resorts butt up to each other, and alot of the resorts are clothing optional. and some excursions may stop at 'bakeries' that sell cookies and brownies made of pot. so if it's pricy, it's got pot in it. get there or bring from home sunscreen and aloe. the islanders cook it up right there for you. use SUNSCREEN, it's cooking time on your skin down there. have fun.
Old 04-13-2016, 02:01 PM
Power Poster

I haven't been to Jamaica, but my experience with tropical areas is that everything is very casual. You will want to bring at least 2 swimsuits (3 is even better, so you never have to put a wet suit back on), a beach cover-up, some nice shorts and tops sets, a couple of dresses for restaurants and evening wear, a comfortable pair of sandals that can do double duty on the beach and in restaurants, a toothbrush and toothpaste.

If you are going to play any sports (e.g., tennis) bring the appropriate clothing and shoes.

I don't know about Jamaica, but when we went on a catamaran trip in Hawaii the seats were very rough (perhaps so people didn't slide off?) which is very bad for the seat of your swimsuit. So plan on wearing shorts over your swimsuit on the catamaran if you don't want your backside to look like a shaggy dog afterwards.

For restaurants and evening, what you want are long, flowy, sheer type dresses. I like dresses that are not close-fitting as they allow the air to circulate and are more comfortable when walking in the tropics. Be sure to wash the dresses before you bring them to make sure the dyes won't bleed all over you.

My advice is to bring your own sunscreen (the highest SPF you can find, 50 spf is good) and some aloe in case you burn. Be aware that all but natural sunscreens are bad for the coral reefs. If you want to protect the coral reefs, you can bring along this kind of sunscreen:
http://www.amazon.com/Tropical-Sands...rch_detailpage
However, it is not very strong (30spf) and you need to read reviews to learn how to apply it so it doesn't peel off.

Be sure to re-apply sunscreen at least twice as often as you think you need to.

Bring a hat to shade your face, or plan to purchase a hat there.

Again, I don't know about Jamaica, but I would not pack beach towels -- bulky, heavy, and you can usually buy some locally for less money and then leave them behind for the needy.

Bring less makeup than you think you will need. Pack less than you think you will need. Bring *comfortable* sandals to walk on the sand. Be sure to break them in well before you pack them.

My experience is that for snorkeling outings, etc. they will always offer the equipment for rental at a reasonable price. Last year we packed our snorkeling equipment for a trip to Mexico and it was totally unnecessary; we ended up using the boat's equipment for free.

If you have any questions, feel free to call the hotel now. They are the experts who can tell you what to bring, what not to bring, etc.
Old 04-13-2016, 03:10 PM
Power Poster

Used to be, only couples went to Sandles. Has it changed? I do see commercials now.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:19 PM

Sandals resorts usually a bit dressy at night, some restaurants have dress code, long trousers for men, collared shirts etc, check out trip advisor as there will be advice from people who have stayed in that resort. No need to take pool /beach towels, they are provided, Happy holiday
Old 04-14-2016, 04:55 AM
Power Poster

Never been there either but it always seems like fun in the commercials. Probably like a cruise ship, casual wear during the day and sort of nice outfits for the evening.
Old 04-14-2016, 05:26 AM

*** The resort will give you info. Just Google them.
Old 04-14-2016, 05:28 AM

Got married at Sandals Royal Carribean in Montego Bay. Absolutely fabulous two weeks enjoyed there. Usual beach-type clothing needed and loose fitting lightweight evening clothes were a must as it was so warm still. Several swimsuits are recommended as quite a few of the trips entail water activities. Climbing down the Duns River Falls was one of my favourites.

Hope you have a wonderful time and enjoy the all inclusive facilities they provide.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:03 AM

Everyone, thank you for your ideas. I am excited to go. This Sandals has 2 resorts. One is family friendly and the other for couples. Do I need to tip?
Old 04-15-2016, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by DivaDee View Post
I am going to a Sandals resort in October. It is in Jamaica. I have never been to an all inclusive resort before.
I need to know what clothing I should wear. Our resort vacations all consisted of a cabin in northern Minnesota, fishing and swimming in the lake. I need help..........
I'd take the cabin in Northern Minnesota, fishing and swimming in the lake in a heartbeat over Jamaica. Sorry,. but Northern Minnesota was designed by God. Edie