Bed stripping

Old 08-16-2016, 10:23 AM

When I was going to visit my parents and was staying for a week I would strip the bed and remake it (they kept the extra bedding in the bedroom). Also, when I was staying with my niece after she had the twins I stripped the bed and washed the sheets, but usually left while the sheets were is the dryer. Anyone else I would ask. For me, I prefer to do it when I have time to wash the sheets. But if they pull them off and put them in the basket in the bathroom not a big deal. I used to have extra sets of sheets but then when we replaced the mattresses and need deep pocket sheets, those are a lot more expensive so I have 2 sets, one flannel and one cotton.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:05 AM

I appreciate the help stripping the beds and it's a family visiting habit with us. There's another angle to this linen changing that I learned from a family of five siblings who jointly owned a beach house. They developed this plan to insure that sheets were always clean for each user. Upon leaving, all beds were stripped, sheets were washed and folded and placed on each bed. When the next user came they had to make the bed they used insuring that clean sheets were always a certainty no matter who came or went.
Old 08-16-2016, 12:52 PM

Maybe it depends on how well you know your host as to how you should proceed.
Old 08-16-2016, 04:06 PM
Power Poster

Had to go up north couple weeks ago and stayed with my brother. The last day I told my SIL I would strip and change the bed if she gave me another set. She said she would be putting them back on same bed. She was thankful I asked though. she did ask that I turn a corner up at the foot so she would be reminded. Worked for me and for her. I have to say it was nice sleeping in a familiar bed. Have stayed with them before and was able to relax.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:36 AM

We give our bedroom to son and wife when they visit with their children. There is one guest room for the children. The third bedroom is my quilting room. :-) We figure they are the parents of active children and deserve a restful place to sleep. Our bed is usually stripped and ready for fresh sheets when they leave. It is easier to just have the children pull back the covers so they don't forget something. Family guests to their summer cabin are asked to bring their own sheets and towels. I think that is perfect so the hosts don't end up spending part of their vacation at a laundromat. It works for us <3 Hubby and I have the time and energy to handle all laundry whenever they visit us. I can recall the packing and unpacking for a trip with three children. With hundreds of miles to travel, children to care for and job responsibilities we try to give the parents TLC. That has always been deeply appreciated!
Old 08-18-2016, 07:11 AM
Power Poster

I always strip the bed before I leave. It is appropiate to help the person that has to clean after you.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:17 AM
Power Poster

I think it is better to ask first.

Some people appreciate help. Some people definitely prefer to do it themselves.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:24 AM

You may be unknowingly creating more work for someone you're trying to help. Different people have different ways of doing things. I too, was raised to clean up after myself and pitch in and help when I am at someone's house, but out of consideration I would ask before I stripped a bed, and I would definitely ask before I used another person's washing machine.
Old 08-18-2016, 11:22 AM

No hard and fast rule for me.

If I know someone is on a well, I would never do a load of laundry. I would (as I am this weekend) bring my own sheets and towels.

When we used to stay at my former mil's place, I would strip the bed, but leave the sheets roughly folded on the bed. I also folded up any blankets and stacked the pillows. She is fussy about laundry, it must be done her way.

Me, I do not use my dryer in the summer and my washing machine is finicky, I cannot fill the tub (old drain lines are partially clogged by roots and it is $$$ to have the lines replaced) , with out the water backing up during the drain cycle. If someone were to 'help' out by doing the laundry, my basement could be flooded and my electric bill higher than necessary. I would prefer to have the sheets, left in place and wash them and hang them on the line when it was convenient for me.

If I am staying with someone I do not know too well, I will ask if they want me to strip the bed. That does not happen very often right now.