Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Before OK, I lived in Bethel, AK >

Before OK, I lived in Bethel, AK

Before OK, I lived in Bethel, AK

Old 03-26-2011, 06:21 PM
Banned

This time of year bring out the best of the Kuskokwim delta region with a celebration of song/dance/drum called Cama-i..(cha-m-eye)

they have dancers from all over the region doing traditional native dances/songs and music plus some of the kids doing newer modern dance stuff..and usually 3-4 dance troupes from around the country/world.

It is a week long celebration that came from the many years the natives were not allowed to do anything of their native ways for fear of being chastised by the Church and other "outsiders" Even their language was forbidden.

This year they are broadcasting Cama-i festival LIVE...
you can see it here..http://bethelarts.com/cama-i-live/
go through some of the pix from past years as well...

I really miss Bethel at this time...it was so alive with art, laughter, heritage and love!
Old 03-26-2011, 06:24 PM
Power Poster

I finally just came back from Hawaii for the first time- will have to see Alaska! I have heard so many wonderful things about it!
Old 03-26-2011, 06:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
I finally just came back from Hawaii for the first time- will have to see Alaska! I have heard so many wonderful things about it!
just don't plan to do it on a cruise...all you will see water and tourist towns...
get out and see Alaska...fly out to Bethel, or Ketchikan...some place where you can see the native way of life...of course K'town is not as native as Bethel, and it is a different tribe all together, but the T'lingit (http://www.indians.org/articles/tlingit-indians.html) are amazingly funny and more out going than the Y'upik! ALl are very talented in the arts and share their love of nature and their heritage.

if you need a tour guide let me know...
OH and if you can, get a card with Alaska airlines NOW so you can save up some air miles..it really helps as Alaska is not cheap!
Old 03-26-2011, 06:41 PM

We lived in Cave City AR . where is bethel? I sure miss liveing there. so close to marsalls drygoods, in Batesville . and all the art in Mt Home. Now we have retired closer to our kids in Ia. : :|
Old 03-26-2011, 06:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by clair
We lived in Cave City AR . where is bethel? I sure miss liveing there. so close to marsalls drygoods, in Batesville . and all the art in Mt Home. Now we have retired closer to our kids in Ia. : :|
Bethel is AK..Alaska!
Old 03-26-2011, 07:14 PM
Power Poster

Jacquie, I wouldn't do a cruise- they don't interest us. I would want to do my own thing.
I sure will look you up on this! :D But don't hold your breath lol.
Hawaii was expensive!! But wonderful!
Now I need to start saving again :D
Old 03-26-2011, 07:16 PM
Power Poster

That card idea is a good one!
Old 03-26-2011, 07:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
That card idea is a good one!
especially since not many airlines "sister/partner" any more to share miles...would have been great for your HI trip, AK airlines goes to HI more than any other airline!
Old 03-26-2011, 08:38 PM

We lived in SE Alaka for 10 years: Metlakatla, Ketchikan, & Juneau, and 1 year in Homer. Loved getting around on the Ferry to see all the small towns/villages and to meet the MOST interesting people!
Old 03-27-2011, 06:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by quiltingnonie
We lived in SE Alaka for 10 years: Metlakatla, Ketchikan, & Juneau, and 1 year in Homer. Loved getting around on the Ferry to see all the small towns/villages and to meet the MOST interesting people!

That is what I always tell people, if you want to really SEE Alaska, take the time to take the Ferry and really get around! I want to go back do just that...I miss Alaska...not just the serenity, the art/culture, the people, but the seafood and wild game..ehhehe