Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Best book you've read in the past few months? >

Best book you've read in the past few months?

Best book you've read in the past few months?

Old 04-13-2015, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by sparkys_mom View Post
I read all of the Outlander series several years ago. Until a few days ago I was unaware that they had made it into a TV series. I don't have Starz, but was able to watch the first 10 episodes on Xfinity's "Watchathon". They did a terrific job with the casting. Jamie is just as handsome and appealing as he is in the book (I've been in love with him since the first book ) and Claire is lovely.

I'm also an audio book person. I don't actually read much anymore as audios let me do two things at once. The Outlander books are also on audio and they are wonderful. I was able to get them from the library and I highly recommend them.

Another audio series that I highly recommend are the Clan of the Cave Bear books. Wonderful narrator on those, as well.
Name drop- Jean Auel was my babysitter. She was a nice lady.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:25 PM

I just finished All the Light We Cannot See and it is wonderful. The writing is great; it is almost poetic and so descriptive. The characters are so well developed and the story is simply gripping. I bought it at Costco so didn't have to pay full price for a hardback.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:48 AM

I just finished "Sycamore Row" by John Grisham.... Haven't read one of his in a long while but with this one, I couldn't hardly put it down....! I love mysteries....
Old 04-15-2015, 06:18 AM

I am mostly a mystery and quilt related reader but this thread has encouraged me to expand that list. I enjoyed "Alice's Tulips" (can't remember the author right now) It is set in the civil war but from the view of a young woman
who marries a man who goes off to fight and leaves her with his mother, far away from her family.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
Name drop- Jean Auel was my babysitter. She was a nice lady.

Loved the clan of the bears series....really makes one think about how far we have evolved! Historical, but written so enjoyably......
Old 04-16-2015, 05:33 PM

Me Before You, Calling Me Home, Left Behind, The Husband's Secret, The Invention of Wings, The Kitchen House
Old 04-17-2015, 04:10 PM
Power Poster

My newest favorite book is "The Painted Veil", by Somerset Maugham, published 1925.

Literature from the early 1900s fascinate me. It doesn't seem as formula as modern works. Old fashioned story telling is just better, to me, than what I find on the market today.
Old 04-18-2015, 07:17 AM

Just finished Greg Iles " Natchez Burning" .
It takes place in Tenn. during the 60's.
Ive had to enter all my read books into the computer and print out a list so I don't buy a book already read.
Still have time for quilting since I am retired.

Last edited by Rose Marie; 04-18-2015 at 07:37 AM.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:27 AM

No way I can choose just one book.

Non fiction I am currently reading Daring Greatly by Brene Brown. I have read about 10 books on healing from a broken marriage over the past 10 months.

Fiction - This past 10 months has been incredible hard since the break up of my marriage. I found that almost every book I had in my 'to read' box had relationships in it and I could not face them.

A friend loaned me "The Sweetness that the Bottom of the Pie" by Alan Bradley. It is a wonderful story about a young girl who fancies herself to be a chemist and detective in post WWII England. I have bought about 4 more in the series. I will be donating them to the school library.