Best E-Reader

Old 07-29-2013, 03:09 PM

Default Best E-Reader

Which e-reader is best for reading outside. I just did one of those questionaires & for my uses they recommended the Nook with backlight. That is the one I have & I totally hate that thing. It's 6 months old & freezes up all the time. Inside I only have to tap the screen 3-5 times to advance to next page (totally unacceptable). Some times it goes back 5 pages. Outside I've tapped the page as many as 30 times before I give up & close it off. It never advances. Then an hour later I open it again & it opens up at the beginning. I do keep it fully charged. I think I'll just go back to paperbacks, less fustrating. LOL.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:30 PM

I have been using various Kindle models (not the Fire model which is a backlit tablet) for several years now. Because they aren't backlit like computer screens, they are perfect for reading outside and for long periods without getting sore eyes.

I've got the latest one now - the Paperwhite - which has an internal lighting system which is still not backlit and so carries on the advantages.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:30 PM

You must have a lemon Nook. I have the Nook Glow with the back light and love it. The only problem I have had is sometimes when I swipe to turn the page I inadvertently look up a word.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:34 PM

I love my Kindle. It looks like paper. I can read it outside on the patio with no problem. I have the one with the keyboard on the bottom because I don't really get along with touch screens.

I also love, love, love all the free books I get for it.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:54 PM

I have the Kindle Paperwhite and it has the internal lighting. You can adjust it for a bright or dim room. My daughter had a Nook and left it on a plane...ooops! She ended up buying a Kindle and likes it much better than the Nook.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:35 PM

Wow, I just did a search on this problem. Seems The folks at Nook might know this problem exists. It's the battery. Seems an easy fix is to take the back off, expose the battery fold a small piece of card stock in half, place on top of battery. Put nook back together and your good to go.This tells me the battery is too small. The hardest part is getting the courage to take my nook apart I see a Kindle in my future.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:43 PM

I have a Nook and never had any of the problems you have - mine is a Nook Color and I've had it for about 2 yrs or so - I love mine - I have so many books on it - I love how easy it is to download a book - I found many free books and low cost books that are great. I hope you figure out the problem because it sounds like you have a lemon.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:56 PM

I completely agree with Otis, I love mine and have had no problems.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:22 AM

I have an old kindle 2nd generation with the keyboard on the bottom, no backlight, and whispernet. I love it. I've read more books in the past couple years then I did when I was younger lol. I also have a galaxy tablet with the kindle app on it, and I hate reading on it. I much prefer my kindle. My opinion is go with an older kindle. They are very reliable.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:16 AM

I have a Nook with adjustable backlighting and I do love it, but in truth, I wouldn't get one again (or any ereader) because I have an iPad with a Nook and Kindle app that allows me to download and read any book offered by these sites. For months now I haven't even picked up my Nook, I just read from my iPad.