Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Best stitch to alter an compression stocking? >

Best stitch to alter an compression stocking?

Best stitch to alter an compression stocking?

Old 07-22-2015, 10:52 PM

Default Best stitch to alter an compression stocking?

DH needs one of his custom made compression stockings narrowed - it's falling down his leg thus not so much compressing anymore.

The stocking has a seam that runs from the base of the foot to just above the knee. It's like a really firm densely woven control top pantyhose sort of fabric. I'm thinking of trying to measure how much needs to be taken in at various spots then cutting and stitching it back together.

Of course, it's "contents under pressure" - so the stitch needs to be strong. I'd initially thought a flatlock seam using my serger would be great - it looks similar to the original stitching - but both serger books I have say it's a decorative stitch. I suppose I could use a satin stitch, or something maybe a tiny bit longer than a satin stitch, but I worry about running and compromising the stocking.

Does anyone have another suggestion? Sending it back for alteration isn't an option and this one needs to last until September but it's the "nighttime" stocking rather than his daytime stocking, so there's a little leeway.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:21 PM

Gosh, I wish I had an answer. My husband has to wear those socks too. Is there a way you can buy a pair to get him through to September?
Old 07-23-2015, 04:00 AM

a Narrow triple stitch zigzag? It's a strong stich.
Whatever you try shouldn't really hurt the stocking - since its not doing its job anyway.
Old 07-23-2015, 04:30 AM

How about the stretch zigzag stitch? A ball point needle would keep the stitches from breaking when the stocking is stretched while putting it on.
Old 07-23-2015, 05:11 AM

BTW how id your hubby doing after last year's accident? Can understand him needing the compression stocking. Hope you are both doing well.
Old 07-23-2015, 05:58 AM
Power Poster

I would not cut into the sock. I would add a line of zig zag stitching and leave the extra fabric where it won't wear on the leg. If he wears them under slacks it won't matter. If he wants to wear them with shorts, put it on the inside of the leg. The reason I wouldn't cut into them is you are going to get a run and there is a lot of tension on the seam and a regular sewn seam I don't think will hold.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:33 AM

I am assuming the stocking is a knee high. Is the whole stocking stretched out of shape or is it just the top that needs to be taken in to hold it up. Put it on,pull it up to the right height then use a safety pin on the outside to adjust it until you get it tight enough. You may need 2 pins and you may have to adjust it a few times till you get it tight enough. Does the stocking have a rubberized top? I had a pair of thy highs like that. They were fine when I first put them on but after they wouldn't stay up. I wouldn't sew and cut off to extra. If the pins work and he wears long pants you won't see it. This way your Dr will see what is happening and maybe have a better way to solve the problem. Sometimes a velcro strip will help but if you have a garter belt that works even better as it is adjusted at the waist
Old 07-23-2015, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
Gosh, I wish I had an answer. My husband has to wear those socks too. Is there a way you can buy a pair to get him through to September?
The problems with fitting a new one are that it requires Occupational Therapy to take the measurements with this snazzy measuring device they have - it's like a tape with a bunch of little measuring tapes mounted perpendicularly along the length of it - and an appointment in the summer is really tough to get, then the measurements are sent to a company in the US where the stocking is made, then sent back. The process takes about 3 - 4 weeks. In the meantime, he's still got falling down hosiery problems. Oh he'd be so thrilled to read this.

Originally Posted by SuzzyQ View Post
a Narrow triple stitch zigzag? It's a strong stich.
Whatever you try shouldn't really hurt the stocking - since its not doing its job anyway.
Hmm,.. this might work, especially if I didn't cut the excess but maybe just rolled it to the side sort of like a jeans hem?

Originally Posted by SuzzyQ View Post
BTW how id your hubby doing after last year's accident? Can understand him needing the compression stocking. Hope you are both doing well.
He's doing really well considering the damage. The fact that the swelling is down enough that I need to alter the stocking is something I consider a good thing! Both stockings were created when the damaged leg was still bigger than the other leg. The damaged leg is now smaller than the other leg which indicates some muscle wasting but he's not having to fight constant swelling anymore. I'm doing fine as life is returning to semi-normal - mostly I'm just trying to get my stress level down now from being so high for so long. Typical symptoms - worn out, starting lots of stuff, not finishing anything, etc. Thanks for checking.

Originally Posted by quilttiger View Post
How about the stretch zigzag stitch? A ball point needle would keep the stitches from breaking when the stocking is stretched while putting it on.
Thanks for needle recommendation! Yes, I am thinking a stretch stitch or a 3 step zig zag is the way to go.

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I would not cut into the sock. I would add a line of zig zag stitching and leave the extra fabric where it won't wear on the leg. If he wears them under slacks it won't matter. If he wants to wear them with shorts, put it on the inside of the leg. The reason I wouldn't cut into them is you are going to get a run and there is a lot of tension on the seam and a regular sewn seam I don't think will hold.
The run factor was my biggest concern too! A short zig zag, like a little longer than a satin stitch do you think? 0.3 ish? I think that puts more thread there to hold rather than a longer stitch that has to hold more pressure per stitch... This particular stocking is mostly used for sleeping in or for when he's washing the other one, so I might just put the seam at the back with the other one - ie take up the old seam into the excess of the new seam. Are there any pitfalls in that?

Originally Posted by mumzer View Post
I am assuming the stocking is a knee high. Is the whole stocking stretched out of shape or is it just the top that needs to be taken in to hold it up. Put it on,pull it up to the right height then use a safety pin on the outside to adjust it until you get it tight enough. You may need 2 pins and you may have to adjust it a few times till you get it tight enough. Does the stocking have a rubberized top? I had a pair of thy highs like that. They were fine when I first put them on but after they wouldn't stay up. I wouldn't sew and cut off to extra. If the pins work and he wears long pants you won't see it. This way your Dr will see what is happening and maybe have a better way to solve the problem. Sometimes a velcro strip will help but if you have a garter belt that works even better as it is adjusted at the waist
The stocking goes to about 4 inches above the knee. The whole stocking is probably about the size it was, or a little stretched AND the top needs to be taken in. Strangely, the stockings don't have a rubberized top. I wondered if they might chafe with continual use. I've got some rubberized elastic though - the stuff with the bead of what looks like clear silicone on the backside - for taking in the top of both stockings and will test on the night stocking but the main concern on that same stocking is the bagginess in the whole length of the stocking. I fear the number of safety pins I'd need to use would risk the stocking quite a bit. I'd say at least 10 and they'd be under quite a load. I could compromise though, I could sew and not trim the excess. I suggested garters. He was having none of that.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:07 AM

I would NOT cut into the stocking. It will never be the same (ask me how I know). The advice about certain stitches is good; just choose which one seems to be the best for you. Good luck to both of you. You've both come a long way, so try to get your stress level down a bit more and enjoy each other.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:53 PM
Power Poster

I wouldn't use a really strong stitch until you are sure you have taken it in the correct amount. If you take it in too much, especially at the top, it can cause problems. I had an elastic sock I used for plantar fascitis that was sliding down, so I sewed a zigzag on the outside of the sock to make it tighter. Took it in about an inch at the top (folded sock at seam and sewed half an inch in) and tapered it down. Sewing on the outside meant I didn't have to worry about cutting the sock or about having a hefty seam inside the sock to irritate my skin. However, taking it in an inch proved too much. It was comfortable, but it caused the varicose veins in my leg to pop out and inch after two continuous nights of wearing it. Thankfully, quitting the sock allowed my veins to go back to the way they were. Your type of sock is different but, if possible, I think you would be best off not cutting and simply using a plain stretch zigzag on the outside. Let your husband wear it that way for a day or two and then, if needed, you can take it in some more. Once you reach the right amount, that is when you might want to use a stronger stitch on the seam. Of course, sewing on the outside of the sock means your husband will need to wear long pants, but he probably is anyway.