Bibs for my Dad

Old 12-08-2012, 05:26 PM

Default Bibs for my Dad

Last month I made two long bibs for my Dad who is an Alzheimer's patient in a nursing home. He is able to feed himself but not without lots of it landing on him. The two I made from Harvest themed hand towels really brightened my Mom's time that she spends with him. I just finished making four of these for him for December and my Mom is looking forward to their arrival. I believe it brightens her day a little and adds a little something new for chit chat with the staff.

As you can see from my photos the ones I bought for December had designs on each half so I cut them in half and sewed on on the bottom end of the design. Then I cut off the top corners of one half to give it a little more shape, turned the edges over and added ties made from 1" fleece. Each towel costs less than three dollars and it takes about 20 minutes to put one together.

A cute side note: my Mom guards these bibs and even takes them home to launder them herself. Many items have been lost in the facility's laundry system. When I started this project I never dreamed it would brighten my Mom's daily routine so much. To me it is such an added blessing.
Attached Thumbnails sewing-projects-001.jpg   sewing-projects-002.jpg   sewing-projects-005.jpg   sewing-projects-006.jpg  
Old 12-08-2012, 05:38 PM

What a wonderful gift you have given not only your Dad but your Mum as well, good for her in taking them home to launder and take care of as unfortunately these things happen in Care homes etc. they are lovely well done.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:01 PM
Power Poster

Your bibs look like they are perfect for your Dad. Anything that makes caring for a failing loved one easier is a blessing.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:19 PM

I like how you made them longer by stacking one end on top of the other. I made similar ones for my mom when she was in the nursing home, too except I made a velcro tab on one end so she could hook it herself. I used hand towels with neat designs, too. Nice you can give your mom an uplift with these. I send you hugs. It is hard to deal with our parents getting older and someday, we too will be there. Think I will have a lap robe and several bibs stashed for myself. :-)
Old 12-08-2012, 06:26 PM

Those are too cool !! What a wonderful idea, I bet he will love them. You and your Mom are two fantastic ladies for caring for your Dad.

Your Dad and I have something in common.

I tend to wear my dinner too. ...LOL

When we go out I bring an extra shirt in the truck just in case. Because we usually eat lunch first then walk it off by doing our shopping errands.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:32 PM

You are doing a wonderful job on the bibs for your Dad. It's so great that they bring so much pleasure to your Mom as well. Not an easy thing she is doing and any little thing to brighten their days is a good thing! Best wishes to your family.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:35 PM

Thank you everyone for your kind comments.

Chasing Hawk, how clever to bring another shirt... I never thought of that but have thought of making a long neck scarf ~~for catching my failings~~ which can be removed afterwards. My sis is waiting in line for any I produce.

My Dad wouldn't know to put a bib on or off. He is very sensitive about anything being around his neck so that is why I made long, soft fleece strings. If it touches his skin he won't notice it.

My Mom is the one who deserves the praise. Their 66th anniversary will be December 29th. She visits him every other day (she's 84 and he is 86). She prods him along to 'try' to do things for himself and he responds to some of her coaching. Alzheimer's is a sad disease but Mom looks for the bright things and I know that helps her to keep going.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:38 PM
Power Poster

nicely done
Old 12-08-2012, 08:58 PM

Clever "clothing protectors" for your dad. I used to work in a group home and we couldn't use the term bibs. Thanks for posting your colorful bibs and the explanation for the fleece ties. Blessings to you and your family!
Old 12-08-2012, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by kay carlson View Post
Clever "clothing protectors" for your dad. I used to work in a group home and we couldn't use the term bibs. Thanks for posting your colorful bibs and the explanation for the fleece ties. Blessings to you and your family!

Thank you.

Interesting rules these facilities have. The one my Dad is in can't allow rails on the sides of the bed. He can't turn himself over in any way but he can move his legs a bit. He fell out of his bed one night and it was some time before anyone found him. To me, it is dangerous for anyone but especially for older people to fall 3' or 4' feet onto a floor.