Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Black Out Fabric for Curtains

Blog Entries
    Which side is the right side? I am making a small curtain for our bathroom window and I am just not getting it...which is the right side out of the fabric. Is the rubbery side the outside? Texas weather is really hot...this little curtain really needs to go up fast....thank you all for your help.

Blog Entries
    The rubbery side is what should be facing the window :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    What side was on the outside when you bought it? I BELIEVE that is the right side. I would make it to where the rubbery part is on the outside facing the window. But I am not sure. But someone will come along shortly and solve your dilemna for you. :)

Blog Entries
    I don't know if it matters but the rubber side is hard to get to move thru the machine, it wanted to grip. So I always put it on the outside so it would go thru easier. It may not be right but it still worked.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    it is the rubbery side, but that is really just a lining...you can make it any fabric you wish..TX heat and sun is going to rot that rubbery side really fast if you do not cover it!

Blog Entries
    Thank you all for the quick response....I better get really busy....I will send a picture within a day or so....thanks a bunch!!!!

Blog Entries
    I got a cranberry fabric that will go on top of it....will send a photo within a day or so....thank you all !!

Yes, the rubbery side is the side that goes toward the window.

I hate to be the naysayer here but the cloth side goes to the window, sandwiching the rubber side between it and the drape otherwise the sun beating directly on the rubber will rot it in no time. Just treat it like any insulated lining.

I'm making drapes for a bedroom and here in FL the sun is brutal too....I have two windows, one facing east and one facing south....the black out lining I got had the cloth on the outside as did all the other insulated linings.

Blog Entries
    I just checked my sample books from 2 different companies and the rubber side is the back, and goes on the inside of the drape or blind...
    And if you are saying that the sun is really bad you may want to put a layer of interlining in between fabric and blackout...I highly recommend it and for a few extra $ you will extend the life of your fabric, and add insulating and cooling benefits to your window treatments...I use it almost all the time and when I try to scimp...I regret it later...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast