Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: black out lining for window

i have made rod pocket curtains for my grandson and lined them, but they do not block out enough light.
    i am going to make seperate black out lining curtain and put on another rod.
    my question is, do i make them just the width of the window plus a couple inches or make them fuller like the curtains.
    they live 1 1/2hours away and i would like to make them here before i take my grandson back home wed.. he is only 14 mts. old.
    i'm sure this is a dumb question, but any help would be appreciated.
    thanks to everyone in advance.
    siss

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    I would just make them a couple inches wider than the window to cover all the light. My husband was a Marine heliocopter pilot and had to sleep some days to fly at night. We used these and it was great.

oops double post

Redneck here put foil over her windows till I discovered the best sleeping mask in the travel section at walmart :)

Blog Entries
    My DH was on midnights for 18 yrs. I cut the heavy blackout fabric a couple inches larger than the window and used my staple gun and stapled it to the sides of the window frame. Our room was so dark that when I woke up I didn't know if it was day or night.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn
    I would just make them a couple inches wider than the window to cover all the light. My husband was a Marine heliocopter pilot and had to sleep some days to fly at night. We used these and it was great.
    Just make them a couple inches wider if you gather them it lets in light. I made them for my daughter because of migraines/ I also have them on the south side window of bedroom to keep the heat out.

Are you sure that you want it that dark. Could confuse the internal clock. I am not sure that I would do that definitely don't want to be kept up at night.

Quote Originally Posted by jansquiltn
    Are you sure that you want it that dark. Could confuse the internal clock. I am not sure that I would do that definitely don't want to be kept up at night.
    Have to agree with jansquiltn. I also wouldn't want the child to only be able to sleep in the dark.

i thought by putting them on seperate rod she could change it up, open sometimes and closed sometimes. also would help keep out the heat/cold. west side window.
    thanks everyone for your input.

Jim
    thanks for the idea...my wife wants them for all our bedrooms...putting them on adjustable rods...we can use them when we need too or remove them easily

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast