books on tape

Old 10-16-2015, 10:50 AM

My elderly mom, 85, lives with me, and I bought her a radio/cd player from walmart, about 25 dollars. It is simple to operate, I check out audio books from the library, she loves them!
Old 10-16-2015, 01:03 PM

We rented a car to go on vacation this year. We forgot to check and see if it had a CD player.
I had checked out several elm creek quilt books on CD to listen to during the long drive.
We stopped at walmart and got a CD player that plugged into the car and we were set.
It never skipped or had any glitches playing the CDs on the trip. It was just a 20.00 one,
so nothing fancy.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:35 PM

He may qualify to get a free player and books from the National Library Service for the Blind. Anyone who cant read for any reason are able to borrow from them. And I think they use local libraries, or at least some.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:48 PM

I download audio books to my Android tablet from my library using Overdrive. It is just like checking out an ebook. My husband downloads using Overdrive to his mp3.
Old 10-18-2015, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by Material Witness View Post
He may qualify to get a free player and books from the National Library Service for the Blind. Anyone who cant read for any reason are able to borrow from them. And I think they use local libraries, or at least some.
My legally blind 92 year old mother has been using this service for years. They send you a free, easy to use player, and books are sent free through the mail. They come with a preprinted card that is reversed to return the books and the entire service is free. I believe there is a requirement for a physician to sign a form confirming the visual of physical disorder. That is it. No issue in quite a few years and it is my mom's main form of entertainment. She loves it.
Old 10-18-2015, 05:35 AM

Check with and eye doctor's office, ophthalmologist, to get a referral for recordings for the blind and dyslexic (and disabled). My mom was on a program where they supplied a very simple, and more importantly very durable, tape player and shipped all the tapes she'd ever want for free. There's the option of filling in a written form for requests or getting on the phone with someone who will help pick out choices good for the person. CDs and a CD player are great for someone who's still got all their faculties, but CD's get damaged very easily.
Old 10-19-2015, 02:24 AM

I want to thank you for taking the time to reply. You have given me lots of ideas. I appreciate all the help. Have a great day.