books on tape

Old 10-14-2015, 05:41 AM

Default books on tape

What type of listening device is best to use with books on tape? I want something basic that is simple to operate and uses earphones. Book recommendations would also be appreciated. I have not seen any types of books on tape but know they are available at our library. Are the books on compact discs?
This will be a gift for a relative who has lost memory and learning ability due to severe brain injury.
Books would need to be very interesting/entertaining to listen to and not too complicated a plot.
My sis thought The Old man and the Sea would be a good one.
Your suggestions/ideas would be appreciated.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:52 AM
Power Poster

my 90-something aunt likes the books on tape from the library. she didn't find them difficult to learn. they are on small recorded devices with just a few buttons. the library even provides a spare battery with each.
there are many formats, though. it looks like Amazon has a free audio trial http://www.amazon.com/Audiobooks-Boo...node=368395011
Old 10-14-2015, 06:55 AM
Power Poster

I had a friend that love to listen to taped books while quilting but I find that I can only listen to music while quilting.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:58 AM

I listen to audio books all the time as I have a lengthy commute to work. Audible.com is very easy to use. I signed up for a book a month program. I pay a flat fee and get one book credit every month. Works for me. Hope you find something that works.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:05 AM

Our Library have most of the books on CD's now for check out or downloadable, they still call it books on tape. There are also pre-loaded units that have just one book on them all you have to do after checking them out is make sure the AA battery works. I have a Sandisk that I listen to books and music on while I work, its small and easy to wear. The only difficultly may be the size of the screen to select the different books. I can store up to 16G of books, some where between 20 and 40.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:29 AM
Power Poster

Does the relative live close to you?

I use Audible and download the books to my iPod. However, there is a charge for Audible books. If you want to borrow free books from the library, your best bet is to go to your library and ask about it at their desk. Many libraries now have a system where you can "borrow" and "return" audiobooks on your computer without ever leaving home. Most of these are NOT compatible with an iPod; instead, you need an MP3 player. You can use headphones with any Apple or MP3 player; they all have a place to plug in the headphones. Your library will be able to tell you exactly what kind of player is required for their digital audiobooks.

Libraries still have compact discs you can borrow. If you live close to your relative and can physically go to the library to pick up and return compact discs, then that is an easy alternative for you if you do not want to learn how to use MP3 players, etc. For this option, in order to use headphones, you would probably want to purchase a personal CD player.

I would recommend making stops at both your local library and perhaps your local Best Buy for information. You need to decide whether to use digital audiobooks from the library or compact discs from the library. Your librarians may also be able to make recommendations for book selections for your relative.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote by Prism.....

[quote]Libraries still have compact discs you can borrow. If you live close to your relative and can physically go to the library to pick up and return compact discs, then that is an easy alternative for you if you do not want to learn how to use MP3 players, etc. For this option, in order to use headphones, you would probably want to purchase a personal CD player.[quote]

This was what I wondered about..... if I could borrow the books, take them to him, and when he is finished, I could exchange for another book. I visit him once every week or 10 days and the library is a slight detour off my route.
I just figured that everything had gone digital. I will check my library and seek advice there. Thank you.

Last edited by tapper; 10-14-2015 at 08:44 AM.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:23 AM

I used to purchase at book stores and the like for my grandmother who was legally blind. She had an old cassette tape player that she used because she knew where all the buttons were. Could probably find one at a yard sale for next to nothing if that is the media you decide to go with and the library does not have one available. For myself, I would get them on both cassette and CD when I had a long commute. Love books on tape (or which ever media works best for you!).
Old 10-14-2015, 09:27 AM

My daughters download books from the internet and listen to them in the car and at home. They use their i-phones and their i-pads which can be plugged into their car stereos.
Have you checked with your friend to make sure he likes the idea? My mother tried to arrange it for my grandmother when her sight was severely diminished, and they really were books on tapes, and my grandmother did not like it at all. She said she would prefer to listen to movies than to be read to. Also, are you sure he wants to use earphones? Maybe a headset would be more comfortable.

How old is your friend? When my husband (62 yr. old) had eye surgery last year, a friend loaned him an i-pad with all the Harry Potter stories on it and he loved it. He had seen the movies but never read the books. When my FIL had the beginning stages of dementia, he liked reading biographies. Things that didn't have a lot to remember.

Good luck. You are being a very good friend.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:50 AM

I have been a member of Audible for years. I use my Kindle and it seems to work well. You might checkout Good Reads online. They have great reader recommendations.