Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Bought my niece a Brother LS2350 because MIL said to. >

Bought my niece a Brother LS2350 because MIL said to.

Bought my niece a Brother LS2350 because MIL said to.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:54 AM

I love my brother sewing machines. I have 3 of them. Customer service is great if you have any issues. This will be a great starting machine and if she wants to buy a bigger and better one later then you can help her pick one of those out. Remember its not the price its the thought of the gift.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:58 PM

Jeanne,
You are a very kind and generous person - I know this. You sent me a kit last year when I was needing something to sew on.....and even was generous enough to tell me to let you know when I wanted another one!
I hate the idea that you feel bad about something you are doing for someone. Does the niece know that she is getting a machine? If she does, ask her if she would rather have a NEW inexpensive machine to start on - or if she would rather that same money go for a used, better machine. Let her choose. If she doesn't know she's getting it, wait until after Christmas, and ask her. Let her know that you had a certain amount set aside for her gift, but you couldn't decide what she would rather have - new or better. You could explain to her the differences in functionality and durability of the older machines versus the newer ones. If she chooses used, take it back and let her help you find her a good used machine.
Just, please don't feel bad about doing something so kind for someone.
Carol B

Last edited by ctack2; 12-15-2012 at 03:00 PM. Reason: adding something
Old 12-15-2012, 03:49 PM

Since the MIL and SIL don't want to go in on the cost of the machine I would buy her the one that you think is best and make sure she knows it's from you. You can tell her that you want to make sure she has a proper sewing machine to learn on, and you would love to teach her how to sew and work on the machine. I made the mistake of buying a cheap machine when I started quilting, and got so frustrated and fed up with the machine I didn't want to quilt anymore. Then my husband bought me my Bernina and I was a happy sewer again.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:59 PM

Your MIL sounds crabby! Don't let her take your joy out of giving a gift!