Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Bought my niece a Brother LS2350 because MIL said to. >

Bought my niece a Brother LS2350 because MIL said to.

Bought my niece a Brother LS2350 because MIL said to.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:49 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
Default Bought my niece a Brother LS2350 because MIL said to.

My niece who is 26 wants to learn to sew. I asked my MIL and SIL if they wanted to go in with me on a $139 Brother for their granddaughter and daughter and buy her this machine for Christmas? They didn't want to spend the money. I said they only had to pay $33 each and I would pay the difference. They said okay. Next thing I knew my very demanding MIL went to Walmart and found this Brother LS2350 for $49.97 and told me to buy it for my niece myself. My husband told me I should. So I did.

I feel bad. Is this a horrible machine? She has never sewn before and I didn't want to get her a terrible machine to begin with but I was kind of cornered into this. Now my MIL and SIL say they are going to buy my niece everything to go with sewing.

I feel cheap. I bought the 2 year insurance on it. I don't know why. I've never heard of buying a Brother for so cheap. The gal at Walmart said it was a steal. I don't know if I believe her or not. What do you think? Did I do the wrong thing? My MIL is very cheap when it comes to buying things. If she can save a penny, she will. I'm not like that.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:01 AM

That's a tough call. I have a friend that I always hoped would get into sewing (and join me in my madness). Her mother bought her an inexpensive machine at Walmart, and she had so much trouble with it she completely gave up on sewing. Even I had trouble with it.

All you can do is read the reviews on that particular machine, bear in mind that Walmart has a generous return policy, and wait to see how it plays out. If the niece really starts to like sewing, she can upgrade without too much having been spent (the machine you bought is much more on Amazon), and if she gives up on it, not a lot has been invested.

You didn't do the wrong thing...
Old 12-13-2012, 09:18 AM

I love brother machines. I own three. Keep the receipt just in case. Since it is her first machine she is just learning and will love what ever you give her.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:42 AM
Power Poster

I think for the sake of family relationships you may need to stay with the less expensive machine. Since you already bought it, maybe you can take it out of the box and try it out to make sure the tension, etc. on it are adjusted okay?

What kind of sewing does your niece want to do? This machine doesn't do buttonholes. If your niece wants to make children's dresses, for example, you could use this as a reason for your MIL to return the machine and get the one you originally wanted. Here is a link to the machine on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Brother-LS2350...dp/B00ACUBMAU/

The only site I could find that had some opinions on the machine was this one:
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1469426

Edit: The lack of a stretch stitch is another drawback if your niece wants to make easy children's clothing, as the easiest patterns often call for knit fabrics.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:03 AM

Please don't feel cheap, I think it's wonderful of you to be buying a gift for a 26 year old niece. With all of our nieces and nephews we had to stop giving gifts when they became teenagers. I just purchased a brother machine for my grandson from walmart but could have gotten cheaper from Amazon. It got great reviews and has a top loading bobbin and an automatic threader. There is also a button hole attachment. My gut feeling is to take the machine back to walmart. http://www.amazon.com/Brother-XL2600...ewing+machines
Old 12-13-2012, 10:24 AM

Caveat to the gift, "This is the one your grandmother said to buy." You tried to do better for her.

mltquilt
Old 12-13-2012, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
My niece who is 26 wants to learn to sew. I asked my MIL and SIL if they wanted to go in with me on a $139 Brother for their granddaughter and daughter and buy her this machine for Christmas? They didn't want to spend the money. I said they only had to pay $33 each and I would pay the difference. They said okay. Next thing I knew my very demanding MIL went to Walmart and found this Brother LS2350 for $49.97 and told me to buy it for my niece myself. My husband told me I should. So I did.

I feel bad. Is this a horrible machine? She has never sewn before and I didn't want to get her a terrible machine to begin with but I was kind of cornered into this. Now my MIL and SIL say they are going to buy my niece everything to go with sewing.

I feel cheap. I bought the 2 year insurance on it. I don't know why. I've never heard of buying a Brother for so cheap. The gal at Walmart said it was a steal. I don't know if I believe her or not. What do you think? Did I do the wrong thing? My MIL is very cheap when it comes to buying things. If she can save a penny, she will. I'm not like that.
Take it back and buy the one you want. If your not happy with it neither will she be. Especially for a beginner seamstress. Perhaps if you had an extra machine to give her, then give her a nice starter stash to go with it.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:19 PM

don't feel cheap. I just found it on Amazon for 89. If it was an clearance @ WM 49 would be about right.
DH bought me this: http://www.brother-usa.com/homesewin...w#.UMo3hazZ2M0 fromWM as a back-up. On clearance it was 70, it was nearly 200 reg price. The Brother machines are good affordable machines. 3 of my DDs have them, all from WM. they all make quilts with them.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:14 PM

First off, am very glad I don't have your MIL. I would take the machine out of the box and try it out. If it runs ok, keep it, if not I would have to exchange it for a better machine. Also would let my niece know her grandmother made the machine choice.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:59 PM

This machine is two steps above the Brother 2125 machines I purchased a few years ago when I was starting up a sewing class for beginners. Not sure what the differences may be but it is a basic mechanical machine and a good starter machine for a beginner. It may not have a lot of bells and whistles but by buying an inexpensive starter machine you won't feel bad if she decides sewing is not her thing.

Brother has a pretty good reputation, we used the machines in my class for 2 years, no problems whatsoever. When I upgraded I listed them for sale. A gal bought one to take to a class on making purses. The next thing I know, the instructor called me wanting to know if I had any left, she was so impressed with how great it worked and wanted to put some in her shop for customer use. She bought all the rest of them.

I think you did ok!