Bowling shoe cover pattern

Old 03-10-2015, 08:54 AM

Default Bowling shoe cover pattern

I am trying to locate a pattern for bowling shoe covers to be worn over the shoe to prevent stepping in water at the snack bar or restroom. Does anyone have a link for such a pattern? Thank you!
Old 03-10-2015, 11:03 AM

I have never seen such a pattern, but they should be fairly easy to make. This web page has several free slipper patterns. Perhaps one of those can be modified to do what you want it to. http://www.sewingfreebies.com/slipper.html

Years ago, when I was bowling, you could buy a half cover that slipped on over the sole but not the heel and covered half of the top of your foot. It had an elastic piece that went behind the heel to hold it in place. It sort of looked like those new pot holders that are just 2 pieces and fit right over the end of your fingers.

Another idea would be to get some of the doctor's covers for their shoes and modify it to fit a bowling shoe. The doctor's shoes aren't enough protection, but would show you how to start.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:24 PM

Take your most comfortable shoes, trace around them, add three inches around the entire pattern, and add a casing to the edges for elastic to hold them on? You could use terry cloth, canvas, prequilted fabric, an old quilt from a thrift store, etc. and they would be washable just in case.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:01 AM
Power Poster

I always used the rented shoes at the bowling alley. If you want to keep your shoes clean from water, I would make them out of some waterproof fabric that you can find in the Home Dec department at any chain store.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:10 AM

Default Thank you!

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
I have never seen such a pattern, but they should be fairly easy to make. This web page has several free slipper patterns. Perhaps one of those can be modified to do what you want it to. http://www.sewingfreebies.com/slipper.html

Years ago, when I was bowling, you could buy a half cover that slipped on over the sole but not the heel and covered half of the top of your foot. It had an elastic piece that went behind the heel to hold it in place. It sort of looked like those new pot holders that are just 2 pieces and fit right over the end of your fingers.

Another idea would be to get some of the doctor's covers for their shoes and modify it to fit a bowling shoe. The doctor's shoes aren't enough protection, but would show you how to start.
I really like the Sewing Freebie sight! I am saving my scrapes of material to make dog pillows for a local no kill dog shelter my daughter volunteers at and it gave me some ideas! Meanwhile, I ripped an old shoe cover apart and using it for a pattern! Thank you for taking the time to post! Happy sewing!
Old 03-12-2015, 08:12 AM

Thank you, I have torn apart an old cover and using it for a pattern with waterproof material for sole!
Old 03-12-2015, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I always used the rented shoes at the bowling alley. If you want to keep your shoes clean from water, I would make them out of some waterproof fabric that you can find in the Home Dec department at any chain store.
Be aware that if it is waterproof, it must NOT be smooth, just in case you do step in water, you do not need a broken hip. Smooth bottoms will make stepping in water, feel like walking in slime, and down you go!
Old 03-15-2015, 07:59 AM

Grab some shower caps and rip apart and use for a pattern. Works for me as I have a friend who allows no shoes on in the house and friends who need shoes on for ambulation. Best of all worlds.