Boxes - - -

Old 09-15-2015, 06:08 AM

No, I quit saving boxes years ago. My mother-in-law saved boxes, paper and ribbon; that totally broke me from saving that stuff. I usually put my shipping boxes in the recycle bin at the extension office. If I am in a swap, I will keep one or two for shipping so I don't have to purchase boxes.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:30 AM
Power Poster

LOL Just this morning, as I woke up, I was thinking I need to get rid of mount card board box. It is close to six feet high in my studio.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:32 AM
Power Poster

No, but I keep boxes and seems that there is always a friend moving to pass them forward to. I do keep any bubble wrap that comes my way too.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:17 AM

I used to hoard my boxes too when I got them from something I ordered online. I would cut the tape off the flaps so I could flatten them out and stack them in a plastic tote I have my boxes stored in. From time to time I'll go thru them and discard some but I like to keep some to mail quilts in. Just tossed a whole trash can full last night so I feel good. Also climbed up into my garage rafters to see what I had stored up there. Found a plastic tote full of empty cartons from numerous computer items. Went thru them and tossed those I no longer have and/or replaced with a new item. Like to keep the box stuff came in in case I decide to sell it online or in a garage sale. Looks better to me if I have the box. Still have the original boxes all my sewing/embroidery machines came in too up in the rafters. Found a computer scanner in one of the totes I'd forgot I had. Thought I'd given that away.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:22 AM

I only keep the 'cool' boxes lol My son helped us move from Ohio to Mo. and while he and my brother were loading the truck I heard them start laughing -Kiddo hollers for me -when I entered the room he says Mom where and when did you get these 3 tomato boxes. I got them at a roadside fruit stand near Oceanside, Cal. in 1981. My brother shook his head and tells my son yep she was always an odd duck. They are very well constructed and they have lids. Through the years I would packed them with fabric and notions and grab my sewing machine to take with me when we traveled.They are the oldest in my collection. Finding cool boxes is not as easy as it once was..
Old 09-15-2015, 10:44 AM

I also save boxes and have had to make myself get rid of some as I ran out of storage space. I am trying to keep "just a few" but noticed the other day that I need to go through them again.

I do remember one Christmas an aunt of mine was desperate to find boxes to wrap presents in. She used, among others, a cracker box, cereal box, and tampon box. Unfortunately, a male cousin got the present in the tampon box. We are still not sure who was the most embarrassed, my aunt or my cousin!
Old 09-15-2015, 10:48 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JanieH View Post
I also save boxes and have had to make myself get rid of some as I ran out of storage space. I am trying to keep "just a few" but noticed the other day that I need to go through them again.

I do remember one Christmas an aunt of mine was desperate to find boxes to wrap presents in. She used, among others, a cracker box, cereal box, and tampon box. Unfortunately, a male cousin got the present in the tampon box. We are still not sure who was the most embarrassed, my aunt or my cousin!
- - as long as the tampons were out of the box and what was IN the box was appropriate - -

If this was years ago, the embarrassment factor was probably much greater than it would be now - - -
Old 09-15-2015, 11:15 AM
Power Poster

I don't keep cardboard boxes. They are mashed flat and put in the trash bin as soon as they are emptied. I don't see the reason to keep them. They will take up a lot of storage space and roaches love the glue. When I need one for mailing it's easy to find one at the post office or UPS store.
Old 09-15-2015, 12:42 PM

I don't save boxes either....but I do love hat boxes....have a few that I have found at garage sales...they are not the old vintage ones, newer with colorful prints on outside....like to store projects in them......hand ones I'll take to bees or workshops and always get "how cute" comments....
Old 09-16-2015, 03:36 AM

Mine was not boxes, but store plastic bags. I would always keep them with recycling in mine, but never took them back to the store or the recycler. My son came to visit and found two contractor size trash bags full. I do save one or two, but the rest goes away. That was hard.