boy was i ever ripped off!

Old 07-05-2010, 10:40 AM
Power Poster

so, over the weekend there was a sale at a quilt shop i very seldom manage to visit (good thing too) it is almost 100 miles away. i love their selection and it seems like it could be a pretty good place; problem is...
i am starting to feel as if they (make mistakes) on purpose...bad as that sounds; this was my 3rd visit to this store...the first visit i purchase some sale items and did not receive the advertised discount on the items, did not notice until i got home...was only cents...i let it go...second visit i asked for a 1/2 yard cut of a fabric and when i got home i only had a fat quarter...i called the shop, they apologized but could not fix it...
now to the third (and last) visit...
this time we were on the motorcycle on our way to the airshow, hubby was nice enough to give me 1/2 an hour to shop at this shop i only go by a couple times a year. i found 2 sale fabrics that were needed and while they were being cut i looked around at the non-sale stuff. so i bought 1yard each of the 2 sale fabrics, found a 60 degree ruler i needed and then picked out a new wilderness panal with 2 coordinates...asked for 1 panal, 1 yard of one of the coordinates and 2 yards of the second one (for borders) i thought i did pretty good...5 yards of fabric (2 on sale for 30%off) and a ruler...the bill was $75.65!...i went out the door thinking...boy, so i didn't do so well after all...good thing i stopped looking...
so we don't get home till late and it is the next day when i get a chance to get my bag out and look at everything...including the receipt...i was charged for the 2 sale fab's ...ok,. the ruler...ok; the panal...ok, then there are 3 other fabrics (at 10.49 per yard) i only had 2...so i was charged $10.49 for something i did not get; then i actually unfold the fabrics and the one that was for borders, which i asked for 2yards of and was charged for 2 yards...is only 1 yard...so now i'm out $20.98 + tax...and i'm pretty upset...
i normally do not pay 10.49 a yard for any fabric, but really wanted it...i paid $41.56 +tax for 2 yards of fabric!!!and am short and can not even use what i have without buying more...
and yes...i contacted the store...first person...very defensive and rude...and how do they know i was shorted?...well i guess because i wouldn't be making a long distance call to tell you about it if i weren't...i'd be happy....
the owner was not available when i called...i am still waiting to hear from her...and i really do not expect her to do anything (especially if she's anything like the person working for her) but at least an apology and assurance that maybe my business is valued? or they could cut me my 2 yard piece and send it to me...i'd even be willing to send back the one yard piece i did not ask for... anyway...had to vent, i am so very upset...
Old 07-05-2010, 10:43 AM

I would be mad too! Just be really nice- but firm. Good luck! Let us know what she says!
Old 07-05-2010, 10:44 AM

man o man ... buyer beware for sure....
Old 07-05-2010, 10:45 AM

Grrrrr, that's so frustrating!

I know I stand and watch when they are cutting now, as I've seen too many people think that 1/3 yard is 9 inches! Or a half is 15.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:48 AM

So sorry you had this bad experience with them. And if the store people are bad about correcting their mistake, that's the only chance they should ever get for your business again.

When I'm having fabrics cut, I watch the cutting table like a hawk. I've had to gently correct the cutter at times when I see them about to make an incorrect cut. Usually it's because there is a lot of activity in the place, several people yakking with different conversations, etc. But I try not to get sidetracked from that and keep my eyes on the table. At the register, I do the same as they ring each item up and it appears on the thingy on top of the register. If the number doesn't seem reasonably correct, I stop them right there and ask them to check it. Like you, I've been charged full price for stuff that should have been on clearance (40% off).

I hope things work out well with this shop, but if not, don't darken their doorstep again and tell others why.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:01 AM

Had a similar experience.
wanted the whole bolt,clerk said"this just came in this morning nothing cut off this bolt so it is the full 20 yds"
"So I won't bother taking it all off the bolt and rewrapping."
no problem paid for the 20yds and left
well get home and start unrolling and cutting only to find that there are only 12 yds on the bolt!
Owners response" how do we know you didn't cut some off?"
lost my business!
some of the LQS should close!
Old 07-05-2010, 11:10 AM

Yikes, that is one of the worst shopping experiences I have read about yet. I am amazed the store is still in business if that is the owner's business model of how to treat customers.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:18 AM

maybe notify the better business bureau...
Old 07-05-2010, 11:26 AM

Ouch. Alway's watch them cutting, alway's have them unfold it off the bolt to measure, and alway's watch the cash register amounts.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:29 AM

Wow, I would be upset to! The quilt shop closest to me, they are not very nice, so I go out o my way to go to Davison, they are the nicest folks you have ever met. In fact I was there today! I wouldnt go back to that shop ever again, Im sorry you had to go thru that. :(