Bradenton, FL

Old 08-19-2016, 03:31 AM

Default Bradenton, FL

We have been invited to vacation near Bradenton in February. Can anyone suggest places and things to see and do? We don't golf or fish and aren't beach lovers --- but I suspect Feb. isn't beach weather anyway.
Old 08-19-2016, 03:38 AM
Power Poster

if you are from the north, Feb is still beach weather LOL
when i moved to FL in February, I was wearing short shorts and a t-shirt... the 'natives' were all huddled in their winter jackets LOL
Old 08-19-2016, 04:47 AM

Bradenton is in the heart of the Tampa area and there's lots to do. I particularly enjoyed the Ringling Brothers house and gardens in Sarasota and eat at Yoder's while you are there. Eat the pie first. After the entrée, you won't have room. There are lots of great quilt shops in the area, check out Quilting Hub for a map of them.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:40 AM

Life is short .... eat dessert first, especially at Yoder's. Before going to Yoders, drop in to Alma Sue's Quilt Shop just down the street and watch the Mennonite women doing some beautiful hand quilting on frames. I agree with Toverly, go to the Ringling. The grounds and art gallery are free on Mondays. The Red Barn flea market is always a bit of a hoot. Walk the Village of the Arts and the Riverwalk; market on Main Street on Sundays, shopping at Ellenton Outlet Mall, etc etc. Lots to do.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:53 AM

St. Petersburg - Dali Museum
Tampa - Florida Aquarium
Sarasota - Circus Museum - there are other museums and Gardens at the same site
Bradenton - South Florida museum and Planetarium
Tampa - Lowry Zoo (this our favorite to visit)

Hope you have a good stay
Old 08-20-2016, 10:00 AM
Power Poster

Just keep abreast of the spread of the Zika virus. I am in So CA and I actually wear shorts 7 days a week 52 days a year unless a rain storm happens to drop a little water on this parched land.
Old 08-20-2016, 04:51 PM

There is a used book store in Sarasota just off I-75, on Bee Line Ridge Rd. Great place to buy books!!
Old 08-21-2016, 04:44 AM

Google Cotton Patch Quilt Shop. It's sort of small but jam packed full of beautiful fabrics, patterns and notions. There are other quilt shops but I haven't been to them yet. We also enjoy window shopping at the Fisherman's Pier in Port Charlotte. There's a neat bbq place with a river tour in that area. And we've visited a bird rehabilitation place right on the ocean.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:56 AM

A Botanical Garden (I think it is called Selby or something like that) is a must see. Right on the water and so relaxing.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:49 AM

I live in Tampa.
Don't forget Busch Gardens. Lowry Park Zoo is great. And there are some great quilt shops.
From Bradenton, you can see great things in all directions. And of course, who can beat the Florida weather!!
Hope you enjoy yourselves.