Bring back the joy

Old 12-03-2010, 11:57 PM

I used to do Christmas everything when my four kids were growing up. My youngest is now 23 and I realized today when my grandson and his sister was here and looking at my books to find thngs I could make for them I have not really included them in my Christmas decorating. This year I am going to change that and let them help put up the tree, decorate, put out my glass houses, hang stockings and everything. I may even make them some cookies and a real gingerbrad cake house. I haven't made one in years. And yes I want a real wreath for my front door, too. Ideas are popping.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:07 AM

I am sure the grandkids will love that.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:15 AM

I can't wait to have grandkids....Christmas morning once the kids all move out on there own...but my husband reminded me that once we have grandkids all that excitement will be back.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:50 AM

The year before Mom and Dad died they let my DD decorate their Christmas tree-----She was 3! All the decorations were on the bottom 18" of the tree. Crammed up but only on the bottom. Josie thought it was beautiful and so did Mom and Dad. When my SIL said that she'd redecorate it so that it would look nice mom told her no. She said, "That's Josie's tree and she likes it so we're leaving it just they way she did it." We celebrated Christmas with the tree decorated that way. You grandkids will love making Christmas with Grandma.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:56 AM

Yes, when my kids were young, I did everything with them at Christmas, right from baking cookies to the gingerbread house, to all the Christmas decorations. When my grandchildren were younger (now are 15,12&8) we baked Christmas cookies together and decorated the house. Now they are at the ages where they don't want to do all that stuff, so, I leave the little bit that they do want to do for my daughter. They still decorate outside, put up lights and decorate the tree with her. The times are a changing...it is getting harder to help them enjoy the simplicity of the season.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:01 AM
Power Poster

i have had real mixed feelings this year...normally Thanksgiving weekend the holiday music goes on and the decorating gets in gear...i usually do it up! have quite a village from you know 30+ years of collecting pieces...
about 4 years ago hubby & i moved to a new house...about 40 miles from any nearest relatives ... not far- just far enough
i still decorated like always, last year i did it all alone, spent an 8 hour day putting up the village, everything, ahhhhhh it was beautiful! and not a single person the whole month stopped by and saw it, and i had (mixed feelings) about that....so what i enjoyed it.... maybe this year we will have the grandgirls up sometime during the month?...... maybe i aught to just 'not-bother' and save electricity?..........maybe i should just get decorating...and it will pull me out of this slump?.......hubby is even willing to participate this year....... part is the empty-nester thing i'm sure, since my (baby) joined the navy this past year and is clear across the country, other son in Florida...daughter is here...40 miles away...those girls lead the busiest lives....it is hard to (catch-them)
anyhow....
Old 12-04-2010, 05:09 AM

It is not the same when your children leave.

Even when you have grand children too.

You don't here those little pitter patter noises like when they were at home. I surely miss it.

They come to visit and then they are gone.

I get very sad at the holidays. I surely miss my children.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:10 AM

I'm sure your grandkids will love that! Christmas is so-o-o much more fun with kids in the house.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
i have had real mixed feelings this year...normally Thanksgiving weekend the holiday music goes on and the decorating gets in gear...i usually do it up! have quite a village from you know 30+ years of collecting pieces...
about 4 years ago hubby & i moved to a new house...about 40 miles from any nearest relatives ... not far- just far enough
i still decorated like always, last year i did it all alone, spent an 8 hour day putting up the village, everything, ahhhhhh it was beautiful! and not a single person the whole month stopped by and saw it, and i had (mixed feelings) about that....so what i enjoyed it.... maybe this year we will have the grandgirls up sometime during the month?...... maybe i aught to just 'not-bother' and save electricity?..........maybe i should just get decorating...and it will pull me out of this slump?.......hubby is even willing to participate this year....... part is the empty-nester thing i'm sure, since my (baby) joined the navy this past year and is clear across the country, other son in Florida...daughter is here...40 miles away...those girls lead the busiest lives....it is hard to (catch-them)
anyhow....
I so understand.I am going thru the same thought process.My kids are 10 miles away but busy with school and work and decorating their own houses.What to do,what to do....
Old 12-04-2010, 07:15 AM

I look forward someday to having grandkids so Christmas will have that extra specialness that only young kids can give it...for now I enjoy my nieces 1-1/2 and 3 year old...they make the holidays so much more fun.
I still do decorate for Christmas, but am cutting back some...just takes so long to put up, and then pack back up....but I do enjoy the colors of the season, and how my house looks when it is decorated.