Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Broken light bulbs

Senior Member Rosie the "Ripper"'s Avatar
    Have you ever gone to change a light bulb and find that the glass globe broke off from the metal screw in section? I have done this several times and it is very annoying to have to go and shut off the electricity in order to use a needle nose pliers to get the metal part out. Worse is when it is night time and it is dark outside - can't see either way.

Well, I discovered a cure! The product is called "Noalox" anti-oxidant joint compound by Ideal.It is a charcoal colored gooey cream in a squeeze top bottle. All you do is smear some on the metal part (with the grooves) and screw the light in.

Now, next time you go to change the bulb, it comes out smoothly! Best thing since slice bread!!!

np3
    Blog Entries
    Interesting!

Never heard of it.

Blog Entries
    Hmmm... I have always used half a small potato or a carrot to remove the metal base part. Of course the light switch is off when I do it. Should there be an issue with this method?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joanie2
    Hmmm... I have always used half a small potato or a carrot to remove the metal base part. Of course the light switch is off when I do it. Should there be an issue with this method?
    ----------------------------------
    Just be sure that when it is totally dry, you can use a duster to take down all the tiny bits of potato or carrot.

Where do you get that? Is it like the stuff you use for car light bulbs?

Quote Originally Posted by Moonpi
    Where do you get that? Is it like the stuff you use for car light bulbs?
    Don't know what that is but I got this at Lowe's in the electrical dept. Home Depot or any other Home center carries it I'm sure.

Good to know.

Blog Entries
    I have one stuck right now! Tried the needle nose pliers and the chrome just crumbled. Tried the potato and now bits of it are stuck in there. What's left of the chrome is bent. Grrrrrrr!! Any ideas on what to do now???

I took the tip of the needlenose pliers and gently bent in the edge of the metal piece. Then grabed onto it (with the pliers) and unscrewed it out. Hope this works The potato will probably come with this piece. If not, I would leave it there for a day,and when it has had time to dry up get a paintbrush and clean it out. Good luck.