buck wheat

Old 07-28-2011, 07:34 AM

there was just recently a post for a tute on making a buckwheat bag, I live in massachusetts and when I google buckwheat whole foods comes up so that is good, but my questions is, is it called buck wheat groats?
Old 07-28-2011, 07:55 AM
Power Poster

Maybe try: rice bags, or corn bags

If you send me a PM, I may be able to help with a pattern suggestion.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by fabrichore
there was just recently a post for a tute on making a buckwheat bag, I live in massachusetts and when I google buckwheat whole foods comes up so that is good, but my questions is, is it called buck wheat groats?
You are looking for what to put in the bag, right? I looked around a little and it looks like groats are ground buckwheat and could come in different "sizes". You might want to check a store that specializes in natural and organic foods.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:02 PM

hello thanks for helping, I have never made one and alot of posts I see poeple use buck wheat, and when I googled it, this is what came up buck wheat groats, funny but I am not sure what that is, so corn would work too? would it not pop when heating in the micro LOL, I want to make one for my Mom who has problems with pinched nerves in her neck any help would be greatly appreciated...

Kelley
Old 07-28-2011, 11:03 PM
Jim

you buy buck wheat from a farming store like Southern States..we made alot of them and they also smell really good..like baking bread...its not ground(groats) its the entire seed...and corn doesn't pop unless it is actually pop corn..they are different varieties...I don't think corn would work well
Old 07-29-2011, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by fabrichore
hello thanks for helping, I have never made one and alot of posts I see poeple use buck wheat, and when I googled it, this is what came up buck wheat groats, funny but I am not sure what that is, so corn would work too? would it not pop when heating in the micro LOL, I want to make one for my Mom who has problems with pinched nerves in her neck any help would be greatly appreciated...

Kelley
You could also use Flax or Rice or Beans if you can't find Buckwheat. I've used rice in the past although it doesn't hold the heat as long as I would like. What about using one of those gel packs that can be used hot or cold and making a quilted cover for it? You can't put those directly on your skin, anyway. If you wanted a little scent with it, you could make a pocket on the cover for a sachet.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:41 AM

thanks for the help...good suggestions I can try...
Old 07-29-2011, 04:55 AM

I use flax seeds- get them at Whole Foods in the bulk bins by produce. Then I put in a drop or two of lavendar essential oil, also from WF.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:29 AM

I found some at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Organic-Buckwh.../dp/B000K4UNJY

Not sure if this would work
Old 07-29-2011, 05:37 AM

We farm and grow all types of grain including buckwheat. You don't want groats or hulls but need the whole kernal to hold the heat. I usually use wheat in mine because it is a denser kernel and holds the heat better than barley. A feed mill or farm supply store should be a good source of whole grains.