Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Bulging disk and an operation >

Bulging disk and an operation

Bulging disk and an operation

Old 05-17-2011, 03:47 AM

Has anyone had surgery to "fix" a bulging disk or stenosis?

I'm considering an operation soon due to having tingling in my right leg also
the leg and foot goes numb. Luckily sitting relieves everything. But I can't
live my life sitting down.
Thanks for any responses.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:57 AM

I just had it done four weeks ago...not by choice, ruptured mine!! Otherwise I have had a herniation at another level for 10 years...my advice...only have surgery if physical excercise and chiropractor don't work. Try yoga/Pilates too. Surgery can always make things worse...that was the advice I was given 10 years ago. I was controlling mine with working out and flexibilty and knowing when an antimflamatory drug was needed. Everyone is different, but that is my story =D
Old 05-17-2011, 03:57 AM

I would be pretty desperate before having surgery on my back. Have you tried a chiropractor? They have special techniqes that stretch out the spine & relieve the pressure. I'm 68 & have had back issues off & on since my 30's. Fortunately, working in my yard is my best therapy. It seems the stooping stretches out the spine, strengthens the muscles & relieves the siatic pain down my hip & leg. When I was in my 30's they treated back problems with immobilization. Now, exercises are the answer.

Originally Posted by Deb53
Has anyone had surgery to "fix" a bulging disk or stenosis?

I'm considering an operation soon due to having tingling in my right leg also
the leg and foot goes numb. Luckily sitting relieves everything. But I can't
live my life sitting down.
Thanks for any responses.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:03 AM

Did you doctor say absolutely that you must have surgery? I have two bulginging disks (I can't remember which numbers) which became so herniated they were close to rupture. I had some tingling and referred pain in both hips, as well as another issue that is kind of hard to describe. I was in terrible pain. I couldn't even care for myself. I did intensive physical therapy for about 3 months which basically strengthend my core and helped to push the disks back into place and relieve the pressure.

I had to beg the doctor for physical therapy. He wanted to operate immediately. In the end, it did work and I have not had any issues since. It has been over six years. Every once in awhile I might have a little issue and I am careful about doing the movements that can trigger a problem but for the most part I have been pain free. I do have some arthritis in my spine and in my neck as well.

I would definitely see if PT is a reasonable track for you. I didn't think it would be for me but when he told me that I would probably end up herniating the disks if I became pregnant I knew that I needed to find another solution. Thankfully, it worked for me. Oh yeah, and I had a baby as well with no back pain at all during the pregnancy.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:03 AM

If your disc is bulging and not ruptured my vote is to leave it alone and try less invasive treatments than surgery. I have had 3 ruptured discs and 5 surgeries- avoid surgery if possible. As to the stenosis that is a bit trickier. My mom had surgery for that a few years back but only because hers was so bad she could hardly walk - she was 71 at the time. Mom's recovery has been good but that is more the exception than the rule from my experience. Hope you find a solution that works for you!

Oh and FYI a herniated disc IS a ruptured disc - two terms for the same problem. Think of the disc like a jelly donut - once the disc is ruptured the jelly inside has leaked out - sometimes a little sometimes a lot. A bulging dis is just that bulging but not ruptured. Hope that makes sense.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:06 AM

Also, yoga is really good as well. It does seem counterintuitive but yoga helped me tremendously. Once some of the acute pain has subsided yoga can help alot. Many of the PT exercises are modified yoga positions.

I would certainly do the PT first though and then use the yoga to keep up and increase the mobility and strength
Old 05-17-2011, 04:11 AM

I have two bulging disc, L4-5 and L5-S1. Probably stenosis as well but I have been living with it for 15 years now. PT and exercise works wonders. Also if the pain gets to be too much you can have steroid injections, a set of three. Those helped me tremendously to get over the inflammation back on track with exercise. they usually last me 4 years before it gets to the point I need more. I have seen too many failed back surgeries to want to jump in and have it done.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:12 AM

My husband didn't have an option either - three ruptured and one bulging disc = surgery. He instantly felt better, and within hours of the surgery he was already walking better and with less pain than he had the day before. (They had tried PT before he finally had an MRI. Dangerous in his situation - he was very lucky.)

Have you spoken with a surgeon? What does your doctor say? Have you gotten another opinion? An MRI?

This is going to raise some ire, but be careful with chiropractic. Chiropractors are not medical doctors and the practice is considered "alternative". That doesn't make it bad - I like acupuncture myself - just be careful you don't embark on a course of treatment that can make your condition much worse.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:19 AM
cjk

I had the fusion surgery. Had ruptured disks at L4-L5, and L5-S1. The surgery made somethings better but made more things worse. I have sudden pains in my legs and feet at times that are almost unbearable. My advise is, check out and try everything else before going for surgery.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:25 AM

I struggled with back pain for over 20 years before ending up in surgery. I've had back surgery & neck surgery. I had a disc rupture in lower back. 3 years later it shifted. It end up "L" shaped. It was pressing on the nerve, which sent level 10 pain down both legs to toes. I also had massive muscle spasms all the way to my toes. When the disc shifted the 2nd time it shifted my whole spine & blew a disc in my neck. That one ended up pressing on my spinal cord. My hands shook so bad I couldn't hold a pen to write. It had to be removed & a metal cage inserted. I also have 3 other bad discs in my neck. The disc in my back they didn't remove, but trimmed it off, and scrapped the bone to make room for the nerves.

If you opt for surgery make sure you have a certified back surgeon, as they have knowledge in dealing with the nerves, not just removing a disc. Go for a 2nd opnion before you agree to surgery.

Most back surgery relieves the severe pain right away. The tingling is from pinched/compressed nerves. They often repair themselves, but if left go too long they may not.

I would highly suggest PT after. You will need to get into an exercise routine to keep your core muscles strong afterwards.