Burnt cakes

Old 07-23-2010, 07:43 AM

Dang it! I put two ten inch cakes in the oven then sat down to work on a block in the kitchen while they baked. Thought I set the timer...I kept looking up from across the room and squinting at the digital read out on my microwave and darn it if I couldn't focus on it. Then I would return to working because I was just sure I had set that timer... I guess I need to give it up and go see an optometrist.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:57 AM

I have done that!! My mother used to say- when it happened to her- that burnt is good for your teeth.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:58 AM

Can you cut off the edges or is it burnt through?
Old 07-23-2010, 10:25 AM

If it were only for my family I'd put extra frosting on it and make them eat it...but it's for a wedding cake no way it's going out my door in that condition expect to the garbage can. LOL
Old 07-23-2010, 02:05 PM

Oh, that's too bad. I'm so sorry. That used to happen to me, too - even stuff I was cooking on top of the stove. I finally got one of those little digital timers, attached a ribbon to it and put it around my neck and it goes everywhere with me. I have even forgotten to set it, (or set it but forgot to push the "start" button) so when I looked at it to see how much time was left, I could see it was never set and that reminded me to go check on whatever I was cooking. It saved me many times! I highly recommend it (if you can remember to push that "start" button)!
Old 07-23-2010, 03:27 PM

I try not to cook and sew at the same time. To many burnt things. If I do choose to cook and sew I keep the timer by me so I don't forget.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:45 PM

Oh, the saga continued. Maybe I shouldn't have baked cakes today at all. So, the second time around making the vanilla cakes. I was on the phone the timer went off. I took the cakes out and sprayed the pans to help stop the baking process. I went to flip the first one out and didn't have a good enough grip on the cooling rack and it slipped out hit the edge of the cutting board and broke part stayed on the cutting board part on the floor. At least I still had the other cake in the pan and safe.
Round three it came out perfect. It's in the freezer chilling.

Good idea about keeping the time around my neck. Any hints for the butter fingers LOL. I know talking on your cell phone while baking should be outlawed like driving is.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:06 AM

What do you mean, you sprayed the pan to stop the baking process?
Old 07-24-2010, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy
I have a wedding cake baker as a friend and she gave me this type a few years ago. She sprays the bottom and sides of the pan and around the edge of the cake when she takes them out of the oven then she immediately flips them out on a cooling rack and wraps them up in plastic wrap to seal in moisture. The end of the cooking process lots of moisture is evaporating due to the heat. Her cakes always turn out moist so I adopted her methods. I also watch cake decorating shows and have seen other bakers spray the cakes with water, and on one website I found a recipe for 'spray' water that brings the water to a boil with a little bit of sugar and then you spray that on the cake. So apparently the professional bakes have some secrets :-)
Old 07-24-2010, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by kristen0112
Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy
I have a wedding cake baker as a friend and she gave me this type a few years ago. She sprays the bottom and sides of the pan and around the edge of the cake when she takes them out of the oven then she immediately flips them out on a cooling rack and wraps them up in plastic wrap to seal in moisture. The end of the cooking process lots of moisture is evaporating due to the heat. Her cakes always turn out moist so I adopted her methods. I also watch cake decorating shows and have seen other bakers spray the cakes with water, and on one website I found a recipe for 'spray' water that brings the water to a boil with a little bit of sugar and then you spray that on the cake. So apparently the professional bakes have some secrets :-)
Can you tell baking is not my passion? How do you spray a pan on the bottom before turning it over? I do understand the wrapping and I'll try that. To those that were to embarrassed to ask the baking questions, you are welcome.

:lol: :lol: