Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: BUT it is not a Vera...grrrrrrr

BUT it is not a Vera...grrrrrrr

I stopped at the Hallmark store and they had just rec'd their first shipment of Vera Bradley. I was carrying one of my bags that I made. I commented and complimented to the employee about the new Vera display. She started to do her sales pitch, as she should. I then smiled and showed her MY purse and I told her that I make my own purses. She quickly replied, "BUT, it is not a Vera!"

A few minutes later as I was checking out, the store owner, who I know, complimented MY "Vera". I giggled and said, no ...I made my purse and she said, "nice"! Too funny! She will do well with Vera B. they were pretty and fun!

Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

My husband and I were talking about this very thing (Vera Snobbery) yesterday - he said that hundreds of other women will be walking around with Veras exactly alike, but I'm the only woman in the entire world carrying a purse like mine! Sometimes he really does get me!!! Earlier in the day I had gone into a fabric store and the sales associate started to tell me where different things were located. Then she stopped and said, "I don't need to tell you, you've been here before...I recognize your purse!"

I have experienced that too, they didn't remember me, but my purse. LOL

I think Vera Bradley is over rated.
    Jean in MI

I wanted to say that mine was one of a kind, not one of many. I found it funny actually.

Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Blog Entries
    I never heard of Vera Bradley. I'm sure your bag is lovely, and very likely better made than the shop bought one!
    Fortune favours the prepared mind
    "Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." Albert Einstein

I had a similar experience a couple years ago...a clerk mistook my purse for a Vera. I am just a purse/bag freak...I like Vera's, I like the ones I make, and I like those I find other places. When I make my own purses/bags, I do want them to be quilted and to hold up well. I used a type of stuff in the last bag I made that is similar to 'headliner' used in automobiles. I got it at the LQS I go to. Very nice stuff.

When someone is a Vera snob, just tell them your bag is a" custom one of a kind" creation!!!

Kat

Years ago I took a bag class called Not A Vera bag. Apparently to make a bag like a Vera you have to make 7 changes and that is what they did. It finally wore out and I've been meaning to make another but haven't.

Blog Entries
    What do you mean 'make 7 changes'? Do you have a picture?

Quote Originally Posted by nancyw View Post
    Years ago I took a bag class called Not A Vera bag. Apparently to make a bag like a Vera you have to make 7 changes and that is what they did. It finally wore out and I've been meaning to make another but haven't.

What is a "Vera" bag? Maybe I'm just dumb, but I have never heard of them. I will take a "one of a kind" creation over a mass produced one, anyday.
    Dance like no one is watching

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast