Buying a Mattress:(

Old 05-07-2017, 08:40 PM

After having 6 surgeries on my back over as many months, we went on a hunt for new mattress set. I don't travel well to test out mattresses so I filled out a questionnaire at a JC Penny's web site. They recommended a mattress and I dove head 1st into it. That has Been the best decision I have made for many years. I have been able to sleep in a full rest mode on it since we got it. But now after around 7 years. I'm thinking it's time for a new mattress set. So I'm watching this thread to get reviews on the new sleep number beds. It's very important to me and my uncomfortable back as to what I am able to purchase. Please keep your opinions coming for me. Thanks for all your help.
Jeri
Old 05-08-2017, 05:22 AM

Something I just thought of. Be sure to measure the mattress you decide on from the bottom of the box springs to the top of the mattress. I purchased a mattress for the queen size bed I grew up with and the mattress is a good 6 inches higher than the old one. When it was being delivered the installer said I could have purchased a low box springs for an older bed. It doesn't matter as much if the bed doesn't have a foot rest. New beds are tall.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
Something I just thought of. Be sure to measure the mattress you decide on from the bottom of the box springs to the top of the mattress. I purchased a mattress for the queen size bed I grew up with and the mattress is a good 6 inches higher than the old one. When it was being delivered the installer said I could have purchased a low box springs for an older bed. It doesn't matter as much if the bed doesn't have a foot rest. New beds are tall.
That's one of the reasons I was so excited to get a new mattress and box springs. I am 4'11" and have to pole vault into the bed we have now. Before I placed my order I measured from my heel to the back of my knee and then measured to see how tall the low profile box spring and mattress would be when placed on the bed frame. I'm thinking I'll be able to sit down on the bed and get back up which is something I've never been able to do. The delivery is today so I'll keep you guys informed!
Old 06-01-2017, 04:58 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by marge954 View Post
We've been sleeping on our latex mattress about four weeks and here's the good and bad:......
I just ordered my new Dromma bed on Tuesday for delivery on or about June 30. I paid $649 for the full size, a $100 discount for the month of May with no additional add-on purchases or 'gimmes'.
My new platform bed has slats less than 3 inches apart, perfect for this mattress "to breathe".

I chose a medium soft (other choice is medium firm) after discussion with the customer service. I have 200 nights to decide if I need to change firmness or give up the mattress. Any time before then I can call them for pick up -- no stuffing it back in the box, no going to the shipping place with it, no paying for return fees -- they come get it, ship me the new firmness or...) and GIVE it to a local charity. I would get a full refund! Can not beat that with a stick!
The cover on the Dromma bed is removable and washable, so it's obvious they mean for it to be removed occasionally and have designed it for such.
The Dromma bed is engineered with a "cooling layer" to take care of the "warm sleeping problem" of most other foam mattresses. I'm looking forward to that. I usually use a heavy weight flannel mattress pad (but it's a queen and my new bed will be a full) so we'll see if I still feel I'll need it. That will take a bit of sewing modification.

I'm so sorry this mattress buying has been such an experience for you, but it's great you have found a solution that works for you. I'll give a review a few weeks after my own mattress arrives; probably hear from me near the end of July. I'm getting excited to have a new bed!!

Jan in VA
Old 06-01-2017, 05:53 PM

My innerspring mattress just died so now I am going on this journey too!

Can you tell us the name of the company you bought from please?

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-31-2018 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:15 AM

Sure. I went with Plushbeds but would not go with them again but only because they didn't offer free pick up if you didn't want to keep the mattress. I had looked at the Dromma bed that Jan has ordered and in hindsight I wish I had gone with them, Purple or Zenhaven.
Old 06-03-2017, 05:13 PM

Thanks for posting. I'm thinking Zenhaven for latex as of now. You do have to pay shipping for $99 but so worth it for me as they set up everything.
With Dromma I would still need to buy a foundation some where and have to pay someone to set it all up for me.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:02 PM

Recently bought DS a hybrid mattress. He absolutely loves it. A bit more pricey, but it's so comfortable, that I'd buy one for us next time we need one!
Old 06-03-2017, 08:11 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by susiequilt View Post
Thanks for posting. I'm thinking Zenhaven for latex as of now....With Dromma I would still need to buy a foundation some where and have to pay someone to set it all up for me.
Susie, I am buying this platform bed from Amazon as my "base". The Dromma mattress will go directly on the slats of the frame, no "foundation" needed. This platform bed frame comes in 2 or 3 heights, 14" and 18", which is the one I'm buying so that I can use sliding drawers holding covered boxes under it. I'll need a small stepstool, but that's okay with me. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A2L77EE7U53NWQ

The very reason I bought this bed is because it fits together rather than needing screws, bolts, tools, etc. If I can "insert a pole in a hole", I can put this bed together myself. I admit, though, if I were to have problems the maintenance person would be able to assist me at some point. If you can't lift a bit of weight or use your hands well, that could be a problem.

Best of luck with your own mattress buying process.

Jan in VA
Old 12-17-2017, 08:05 PM

Many years ago, we selected a new mattress and box spring at the furniture store. After a week of agony, I insisted we go back to the store and lay down on the one we thought was so comfortable. The same salesman came to see what we were doing and at some point, I noticed the tag was a different color than the one we had at home. I couldn’t recall what it said, but I knew it was not the same color. He told me to call him when we got home and read the tag.

When I did that, he almost flipped. He said the one we had is a special order because it’s rock-hard and they don’t have much call for it. He figured when the mattress supply was delivered, this mattress was set off and never got loaded again so it got mixed into their inventory. The store immediately brought the right one and hauled “the beast” away. We’re still using the right one and I know it’s over 20 years old now.