Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Can you cut phlox back after done flowering?

Hello everybody,
    I have a question about phlox and was hoping somebody on here grows this flower. I want to know if you can cut them back after they are done flowering and plant something else in its place? I want color year round and they only last a short time.
    Judy in Ohio

Blog Entries
    Hmm--my phlox are so think--there's no way I'd get something else in there. I'm not sure if the roots need nourishment or not. I'd hate to risk it. Maybe plant something in front or between them? Call a greenhouse??

If you cut off the flower head , they might rebloom again later.

Blog Entries
    I cut mine back and usually get another bloom from them. :D

I agree with the suggestion of interspersing the planting of phlox with other plantings. I'd be concerned about damaging the roots of the phlox.

Oh sure! I have done both the rule of thumb is not to cut back more than one third of the plant at a time. I cut mine back big time early in the spring because they were growing over my roses "space". Roses don't like that you know. They want full sun around the root to prevent rot. I might have to transplant the phlox this fall.

I have another ground cover I am cutting back to a nub today. They are going to seed. It is ruellia. It was sent to me as seed five years ago, and I have just been dividing it into clumps in my rocks. Hope you don't mind a pic, they did good this year.
    Attached Images Attached Images