Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Can you help me? cholesterol + gifted kids?? >

Can you help me? cholesterol + gifted kids??

Can you help me? cholesterol + gifted kids??

Old 12-02-2010, 10:22 AM

hello friends,

as you know I'm mum to 3 kids ( in fact 1 kid and 2 teens). All of them are gifted. Two are HG and 1 is and underachiever one.
All of them have HIGH levels of cholesterol, as blood tests confirm.
Here's my help request, many months ago I read somewhere on the net about the relation between gifted children + cholesterol. Didn't bookmark it and don't remember nor can find any info related to this. Neither do I know if it was a reliable source or valid information. But I do need it.
Anyone in the same situation?
Any link to check?
Any information pls? as I'm going crazy, I DIDN'T dream it, I read it, for sure.
Thanks sooo much :thumbup: :D:D:D
Old 12-02-2010, 10:25 AM

Sorry, I've never heard of this. I hope you find what you're looking for SOON!
Old 12-02-2010, 10:44 AM

Try psychosomaticmedicine.org.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:45 AM

I forwarded you to a friend of mine who is a Registered Nurse and so very resourceful. Hope she finds that link for you. Blessings, Ruth
Old 12-02-2010, 10:58 AM

sooo many THANK YOUs my dear friends, I knew I could count on you ;) ;)
greensleeves, checking out right now! tkssss :thumbup:
mrspete, soo many tks!!! expecting any news, anxiously :D:D
Old 12-02-2010, 11:09 AM
Power Poster

and ask your Doctor about them taking fish oil to help.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:39 PM
Power Poster

My two sons have high IQs and gifted - but their cholesterol is great - in fact the older one was very overweight and his cholesterol is better then his younger ,much skinnier brother . Go figure :roll: LOL
Old 12-02-2010, 07:48 PM

That sounds interesting. I have never heard that before. I was/am in that category and my cholesterol is very low. My boys are also in that category and have great cholesterol.

On the other hand, I have read about many connections with ADD and other learning disabilities and high intelligence and the new (to me) term of twice exceptional.

I agree with nativetexan, fish oil will often help with this and it is very good for your brain development and body in general.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by bjnicholson
Sorry, I've never heard of this. I hope you find what you're looking for SOON!
Originally Posted by greensleeves
Try psychosomaticmedicine.org.
Originally Posted by mrspete
I forwarded you to a friend of mine who is a Registered Nurse and so very resourceful. Hope she finds that link for you. Blessings, Ruth
Originally Posted by nativetexan
and ask your Doctor about them taking fish oil to help.
Originally Posted by sharon b
My two sons have high IQs and gifted - but their cholesterol is great - in fact the older one was very overweight and his cholesterol is better then his younger ,much skinnier brother . Go figure :roll: LOL
Originally Posted by oatw13
That sounds interesting. I have never heard that before. I was/am in that category and my cholesterol is very low. My boys are also in that category and have great cholesterol.

On the other hand, I have read about many connections with ADD and other learning disabilities and high intelligence and the new (to me) term of twice exceptional.

I agree with nativetexan, fish oil will often help with this and it is very good for your brain development and body in general.
My friends,
Thank you sooo much fr yr concern and advise. It's very much appreciated.
Will try to explain/resume which my situation is. (sorry for my bad English, you may ask If you don't understand what I meant to ;) and I don't know about medical language neither am I a doctor, so if any doc in here, pls be good ;) )
I know cholesterol is largely an inherited disease. Usually (not always) have a family history, dad, mum, sister have it. Now my kids.
What I read some time ago, was sth related to different brain function (that's why was in relation to gifted), which COULD make the person to have a certain tendency , higher CHANCES to have high cholesterol levels in blood. But I want to be exact on it, I'm only speaking on probabilities, it's doesn't mean ALL gifted have this problem.
I don't know whether it was a reliable source either. And I found that article matched almost perfectly my family situation.
That's all. I also know that weight has no relation at all with cholesterol, my eldest DD (teenager) has the body of a T.V. model, and has always been this way. Never had weight problems. And has the highest level of the 3 of them.
My middle boy ( teenager), is middle weight, not so thin, not so overweighted. High chol level, but less than his sister.
My youngest boy (8) is a giant boy, tallest in his class, and rather overweighted. He looks like a 11 or 12 yrs old boy. Comes 2nd in chol level.
Nothing related to weight at all.
I'm trying to find out if there's a connection between gifted brain function and cholesterol. And that's not mean ALL gifted have this problem, just me.
So many thank yous! :D
Old 12-03-2010, 07:05 AM
Power Poster

I have read that it is now considered the very intelligent seem to have bi polar issues. That could lead to a lot of medical problems. The school kept insisting that my DD was gifted and would benefit in the advanced classes. I spent several days in her class and it didn't take me long to figure out she was normal, the other kids that were left, not recommended for the gifted classes, were...well, not very inclined to learning but not dumb by any means. I had her IQ tested and she was above normal for her age but nowhere gifted like you would think the gifted classes catered too. I kept her in the regular classes. I would rather she excel in normal then be average in gifted. She always got A's in her work in regular classes and breezed through school with a very coveted scholarship to show for it. I think sometimes a parent has to step back and see the whole picture about the gifted or advanced school programs and the advantage or disadvantages it offers.