Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Can you remove a Sharpie marker? >

Can you remove a Sharpie marker?

Can you remove a Sharpie marker?

Old 08-15-2010, 11:13 AM

Your MIL has an ego problem. The only book I received from anybody was from my parents and they didn't even sign it. That as 60 years ago.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by lab fairy
I know I'm going to be really unpopular here in the next 20 seconds. I'll apologize in advance.

All MIL's are not out to get you, they don't do things to spite you, they might find your actions really silly (sometimes we look back and realize they were). Very rarely do you see a wicked MIL in a pointy hat cackling in delight that she pulled another one over on you. If she didn't love YOUR child she would never give a gift in the first place.

Instead of trying to remove the ink. Why not learn to share the books anyway? My children have many with their names in them and were shared. We always knew who to return them to when we were done with them.

I always write inscriptions in books that I gift. I always ask the giver of a book to inscribe them to me. Maybe that is the author in me coming out. I have many many books that are treasured because they were gifts from people I can no longer see.

Why do people always look at a gift and think "now how will I get rid of it"? My children received very few gifts from one set of grandparents and never were they "special" (that means with an inscription or anything more than "here this is for you" and then forgotten). MIL once told me they had too many grandchildren for any one to be special. I wrote things down so they would always remember their grandparent loved them enough to give them such and such. I hope someday they will share those treasures with their families.

Maybe WE are the ones having issues with MIL's and not the child having a problem with an inscription in a book. I haven't found too many very young children who cannot understand the concept of allowing someone to borrow something. If the book is a precious object, then of course, it should be kept in a special place and not loaned out. I have a few of those myself. I never loan out my first Chemistry and Phyics Handbook that my Dean of Natural Sciences gave me. I bought a second one to loan. The other is in its special place, inscriptions and all.

This has inspired me. Now I'm off to call my SIL and irritate him by telling him I found the book he was searching for. I think I'll inscribe it.
You bring up some interesting points although my first one had at least 3 of those pointy hats(one for each broom) I'm sure. I bought a book on a garage sale a few weeks ago and there was a date, reason for the gift, the person's name and the giver's names. I realized I knew them all. Small world. I enjoyed it immensely
Old 08-15-2010, 11:46 AM

Even the cheapest dime-store book can become a treasured heirloom...made even more special by the handwriting of the gifter to the recipient...
I do a lot of genealogy, and would KILL for something like that from my grandmother...and so wished I'd have saved the boy's toys that they got from their grandparents, who are now all gone...

Maybe Mom in law is simply thinking to the future?
Old 08-15-2010, 12:04 PM

My MIL is still with us but she is from a whole different culture (I married a wonderful Mennonite man) and she made each child a quilt at birth and a sock monkey for their 1st birthday. That is about it. That is her way and she is a sweet woman. Nothing she gave has really been signed but I made sure to document. I want my children to know her and that she cared. I have nothing from my grandparents and I regret not having that. People don't realize how important little things like that can be later on even if the item seems inconsequential to the adult. I think any book, regardless of price, deserves an inscription. It is the sentiment not the value that is important. One of my most treasured books is a Little Golden Book that I've had since I was a year old. I learned to read that thing by the time I was two. I read it to my kids and many neices and nephews.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:21 PM

I have some errands to run so cannot write a lot, but this is a control issue with MIL (not with me). She hangs on tooth and nail to the fact that her sons hae married and hae children of their own. She is also a hoarder, and my husband dislikes reality TV vehemently but will sit and watch the Hoarding show with googly eyes thinking about what he is doing to do with his mother's stuff. She is also not 'gentle' with kids (has called my niece (other granddaughter) a whiney brat to her face - the girl is 5 and no different than any other kid), but has yet to do that with my daughter; she doesn't like girls much and has said that to me. She has to "buy" the affection and mark it on things. (If she says those things to my daughter, it will not be pretty.)

She is to the point of "counting" days that husband and I spent with my family versus his family. Even family funerals in my family "count" as days. Years ago, when we planned a mother's day lunch for her - and there was a last minute death in my family (beloved grandpa) so the lunch was cancelled - we rescheduled it; she walked in the door, gave me a hug, and told me she was sorry about so and so's death beause she had really been looking forward to her mother's day lunch. (I'm not kidding; you're so flabbergasted when she says these things that you don't know what to say.) Then, in front of everyone, she said that my family was "ahead" with the days and asked how much fun I had visiting my family.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:25 PM
Power Poster

I am so sorry for your situation. There are no easy answers and I think your DH has no idea what to do. You are in my thoughts and prayers and I will be hoping that it improves.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:12 PM

Just wanted to thank everyone. I'm sorry this turned into a MIL discussion, as I only wanted advice on removing Sharpie marker marks.